Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice Please!  Electric Quilt (EQ7) >

Advice Please! Electric Quilt (EQ7)

Advice Please! Electric Quilt (EQ7)

Old 01-23-2012, 09:00 AM

I upgraded from EQ6 to EQ7 and love it! I use it for everything from designing the quilt to making the labels. I didn't find it too difficult to learn, mostly just played with it until it started making sense and looking up what I couldn't figure out. Video tutorials are included in the program, which are helpful. I love that I can audition fabrics on my quilts and can make the exact size quilt I want without having to do all the calculations manually. There are a lot of fabrics in the program and you can get more to download from their monthly newsletter or from the internet.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:20 AM

Moda makes images of all their fabric lines available for downloading and using in EQ, which is awesome.

There is no EQ for the Mac, so if you have a Mac, you'll need to run a virtual Windows program on your Mac to use EQ.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Ok! Thanks for the help. I have it on order!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:12 AM

Andover also makes jpg files of their fabric lines and Connecting Threads makes .fab files of their fabrics specifically for EQ.

There were a couple of others, but I can't remember which ones, now. Short term memory is fizzing on me, but I hope someone else might know.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:59 AM

I use mine all the time. I love that you can scan in your own fabrics and see your quilts completed in your own fabric choices.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:05 AM

There was someone on here yesterday wanting to sell theirs; maybe do a search on it.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:17 AM

I have been using EQ software for a long time and highly recommend it...for me it is the best quilt software out there. It does require some time spent studying, so go through the lessons in the user manual! EQ7 has a lot of built-in support to help you, along with an informative website and user community.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

I know quiet a few quilt designers and they all use EQ 7. I learn something different every time I use it. I usually stick with blocks from the block library and edit them to my liking. I am learning how to use the pieced borders library now. I haven't even looked at how to do all the layers of the quilt top yet. The import and trace feature is worth the price of EQ7.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:03 AM

I really enjoy mine. I usually find fabrics close to what I'm planning to use already in the program. But this next time I'm going to use scanned fabrics to work on an "ugly" fabric challenge quilt for our guild.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:31 AM

EQ is as easy or advanced as YOU want it to be. You can use only the basics, or be endlessly creative by learning all the in's-and-outs of it. Quilt University offers great classes to learn it, which I highly recommend. I took them and it made all the difference for me - well worth every penny. And they're taught by Fran Gonzalez and Patti Anderson, who both have written tutorial books for EQ.