Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please >

Advice please

Advice please

Old 06-28-2011, 10:08 PM

Good luck! U got some good advice.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 PM

Location: Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground

Originally Posted by GreatStarter
I agree, I would take it apart and resew it. Hopefully it will come out close enough so it will work fine in the quilt. Since no one knows which block is which, just do it and don't tell anyone else.

Kat
I agree, the only one that would know is the person who first made it, by not saying anything and just redo it would save heart feelings..
Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 PM

[quote=suzee]I am in a pickle and need some advice. First, let me admit that I am a perfectionist...
Oh, my goodness! You could have written a similar thread a couple of weeks ago. The other instance was young children making quilts for their teachers. The woman who was coordinating was also a self-proclaimed perfectionist. In her instance, she was advised to leave them alone because all the blocks were unique. I can completely understand your pickle. I myself would fix up the block as best as possible; if it isn't salvagable, is there a chance you could have a strategic coffee spill? That would work if the blocks are same/similar. If not, could rearranging the work help? When my guild gets together to make charity quilts, we divide up the work into stations...some sew, some press, some cut, some quilt, some bind, etc. Everyone gets a chance to participate that way.

And, like the others said...get some help setting up and putting away!!! It might take you 45 minutes on your own, but with three or four, maybe only 10 minutes??
Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by suzee
except that the person who made it was very secretive during it's construction.
Someone will catch you if you fix/repair/replace the block. They know exactly what their block looks like, and will look for it in the quilt...
Old 06-28-2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Someone will catch you if you fix/repair/replace the block. They know exactly what their block looks like, and will look for it in the quilt...
I'm in agreement with the above. Besides we all know when we have mistakes in a quilt we've made ourselves and we also know that if it isn't mentioned the chances are good that no one else will notice. Most especially a happy and thankful recipient. I say use the block as is!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:39 PM

I am in a pickle and need some advice. First, let me admit that I am a perfectionist. A group of ladies from my church expressed the desire to make a quilt as a surprise gift for another lady in our church who is a missionary in Africa. Some of the ladies are experienced quilters, some are not. This is a project that has been batted around for two years and never got off the ground so I said if they really wanted to do it, I would organize the project. I worked with another quilter to choose the blocks and I supplied all the fabric. We are meeting for 2 1/2 hours twice a week so it is a big time commitment for me because I have to go to the church and get everything set up and ready before the other ladies arrive, then tear down and put everything away before I leave. I have asked an experienced quilter to work alongside each of the novices and I 'roam' lending help where needed. This morning, as I was gathering up the blocks that had been completed, I found that one block is especially wonky. The seams are closer to 3/8 than quarter inch in many places and in other places they are less than an eighth, the block was not pressed during construction, and overall, it is just really sloppy looking. We are using Rhonda's cut down method so there is really no reason for this block to be such an eyesore except that the person who made it was very secretive during it's construction. The quilt will require 40 blocks and, including the wonky block, we have 17 completed. Here's my dilemma; Should I ask this lady to do the block over? Should I un-sew it myself and try to salvage the fabric and restitch it? Should the block magically disappear? Should I just whip up a new block and replace it? None of the blocks has any identifying mark on it, the rest of the blocks are beautiful and line up perfectly. I realize that my perfectionism can be a real serious character flaw. I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, but I'm not sure what is the right (gracious) thing to do here. What do you all think?
What I'd do--------I'd make a duplicate block if the sme fabrics were available. Or if not, I'd rip hers and start over.

A few weeks from now, if she says something, just say her block was very pretty (some superlative) but it just was not fitting right, so you had to adjust it. YOu wouldn't be lying. Maybe not telling all you know, but you'd not be out and out lying.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I would very quietly fix it. The less said, the better. It won't be perfect, but it will be acceptable. For the next round, pay attention to that pairing and offer gentle corrections as the block progresses.

You also need to request some help setting up and taking down. Doing it alone can get old in a hurry.
Setting up and tearing down is such a chore for me, too. Maybe an hour on either end of a sewing session. That's why I'm buying a few sewing machines for our church group. We've already got a couple cutting mats, some rulers, rotory cutter, pins, and such. We've also got a couple tubs to store stuff in.

It is sooooooooooo difficult for me to take stuff from home, load my car go to church and unload to repeat the process when the day is over.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:05 AM

I just read the whole thread. A few things came to mind. I have a very good friend who likes to make things for her grandchildren. Every year she makes christmas stockings for them and asks me to embroider their names on. She just bought a new Bernina machine with all the bells 'n' whistles. She has all the great tools, just doesn't really understand how to use them. #1. her cutting-out of the item is uneven and downright messy. #2. She has no idea how to sew an even seam. I calmly take the whole item apart to flatten it for the embroidery hoop, then neaten things up as much as possible when putting it back together. I don't want to make it "perfect" - just neater. She has other attributes that are just as important as being a perfectionist. Besides, she is my good friend.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rose L
Originally Posted by Charlee
I'm in agreement with the above. Besides we all know when we have mistakes in a quilt we've made ourselves and we also know that if it isn't mentioned the chances are good that no one else will notice. Most especially a happy and thankful recipient. I say use the block as is!
i agree... i wouldn't fix it on the sly. it might make her feel worse that it was fixed without her knowing. Leave it as is and the person who gets the quilt will love it anyway and you won't have to carry around the guilt. this is supposed to be where everyone learns and participates right? If you fix it she may feel unworthy and quit :(
Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 AM

If the block is that out of alignment, won't it affect how the quilt goes together? The seams won't match correctly. Also, the narrow hem may result in a weak spot in the quilt. That one wonky block may affect the look of the entire quilt.

I don't have an easy answer. I guess it depends on how well I know her. My first instinct is to fix her block, and then quietly take her aside and kindly show her what you did. Privately. It sounds like she might be making additional blocks, and you don't want to have this problem again.

I agree with the others - everyone should help with the set up and take down.