Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Seam rippers Please

Advice on Seam rippers Please

Hi all, I am a seam ripping queen (LOL!) and my many inexpensive ones have worn out and gotten dull, are the brass ones worth the price? If so, which to choose - Pam Dafour, Nifty Notions, heritage crafts ... other?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Blog Entries
    The most I ever paid for a seam ripper was $20 for Alex Anderson's 4-in-1 tool. I loved it, but it too eventually became dull. My conclusion is a seam ripper is a consumable item that will need to be replaced, along with needles and rotary cutter blades.

Power Poster
    Until someone comes up with a seam ripper sharpener, I agree with Peckish. One has to buy new ones when the old ones get dull.

Power Poster
    I prefer pointed serrated blade tiny scissors. I put the tip under ever 3-4 stitches and the the serrated edge cuts the thread. I then can just pull the top thread out and the stitching is removed.

I buy the cheapies at Walmart. I get years of cutting stitches with them. I always keep spares. I have bought expensive ones and they broke before I could use them very long.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I have five or six of them around here. I use whatever I find first and ditch them one at a time as it becomes dull. The reason I have so many is that they tend to run and hide whenever I have a job for them to do. They are smarter than they look! The last time they all ganged up for several days and I was forced to buy a couple more ... Then they came out of hiding and I had six or seven of them in plain sight!

Blog Entries
    Silly Susan, you have a wicked sense of humor! (Meaning I like it a lot!) Yes, those pesky rippers tend to disappear just when we need them! Now you have 7-one for each day of the week!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
    I have five or six of them around here. I use whatever I find first and ditch them one at a time as it becomes dull. The reason I have so many is that they tend to run and hide whenever I have a job for them to do. They are smarter than they look! The last time they all ganged up for several days and I was forced to buy a couple more ... Then they came out of hiding and I had six or seven of them in plain sight!
    Mine must be related to yours.

Blog Entries
    dare to dream

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like the cheap ones that have a flat handle and the "blade" is flat so you can get under the stitch--but all rippers becoe dull so I need to remember to pitch them when they don't do their job.

Blog Entries
    I've tried so many! I just discovered the Clover brand (482 W)with a thick white handle. The point is very fine and sharp, so even tiny stitched come out easily. I found a three pack somewhere - probably Amazon. I know they won't stay sharp forever, but they are holding up well.

My favorites are the Fons and Porter on with the thick round red handle and the Clover one with the slim green handle. I like a stitch length of 2.0, and these are narrow and sharp blades, fit easily under those small stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by greaterexp View Post
    I've tried so many! I just discovered the Clover brand (482 W)with a thick white handle. The point is very fine and sharp, so even tiny stitched come out easily. I found a three pack somewhere - probably Amazon. I know they won't stay sharp forever, but they are holding up well.
    My favorite too. Like the feel of it in my hand, larger handle than the less expensive ones. It lives in the little shelf in my FW case and never escapes. About two years old and still as sharp as the day I purchased it. And yes, it gets used often! I was so surprised how easy seam ripping could be with a sharp tool.

I believe in disposable seam rippers and I have a number of them scattered about in various locations, but it seems like never where I need it. Most currently are largish and have a blue handle probably Dritz? basic. I can't use those little tiny ones at all, they make my hands cramp up. Lately I've gotten a couple of the white handled Singers, they are about twice the price of the others but I like the handles. No opinions on how they last, only had for a year or two.

Blog Entries
    They all become dull fairly fast and should be changed out. For that reason, I'd never spend too much on one.
    Judy

All seam rippers dull eventually...the brass ones are excellent for about a month and then they also start to dull and have to be thrown away. My preference is the Clover seam rippers ( in with quilting notions) . I buy them at JoAnn's with a coupon every couple of months so that I always have a sharp on handy.

These are my favorite as well.

I have about a dozen cheapos. Won't pay a lot for something I can never find!

Blog Entries
    I love my Fons and Porter with a red handle and I love another one that has a top that looks like an eraser. It removes the threads after thy are cut. I also was gifted a battery powered ripper which is great. My Fons and Porter is about 3 years old and really needs to be replaced soon.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I have a basket full of seam rippers. I just grab one. All colors, sizes, and brands. Having so many I don't use the same one each time so they all stay sharp longer. I like F&P and Clover and usually buy those. If I go to a quilt shop and don't need anything I buy a seam ripper.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

My all time favorite is Clover. I have several.

My favorite as far as staying sharp is the one that came with my Viking over 30 years ago. I still have it and it's still sharp. I have several others as I keep them spread around the room so I always have one when I need one.

I would love to find a long handle, thin ripper. Sort of like a pen size. I have a hard time with the thick handled ones and so far I've only found long ones with thick handles.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    My favorite is the Bernina next the clover

Blog Entries
    I have several of the white Clover seam rippers...and sometimes they do play hide and seek in my sewing space.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
    I like the cheap ones that have a flat handle and the "blade" is flat so you can get under the stitch--but all rippers becoe dull so I need to remember to pitch them when they don't do their job.
    Flat handle! Yes! I don't believe they still make seam rippers with round handles. They are forever rolling away and onto the floor!
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast