Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice On Sit Down Long Arms >

Advice On Sit Down Long Arms

Advice On Sit Down Long Arms

Old 06-14-2017, 12:14 PM

I prefer the HQ Sweet 16 sit down machine. I now have the HQ Avante, a LA machine. HQ is wonderful with helping out if you have any problems. Just a call away. I prefer calling them as they can 'translate' into my personal language. They will really listen, paraphrase, and repeat for clarity. They are well versed in working with a variety of people.
Yes, my local dealer is good. But it takes them longer to translate to 'alice'.

Would also suggest you look at Pinterest or online to get a 'cradle.' The cradle will hold your quilt up so there isn't a weight drag while quilting. The person who I knew who used to make them is well retired and I couldn't reach him so I could refer anyone to him. The cradle is relatively easy to make with PVC pipe and bungee cords.

Last edited by AliKat; 06-14-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:10 AM

I have the Platinum 16 which is Vikings version of the Sweet 16- I love it! I didn't want the stitch regulator- it looks more trouble than its worth and I wanted to learn how to get the stitches right with my timing. My dealer is close and wonderful when I messed up my bobbin case at Christmas time- they came to my house. I can't stand to quilt for medical reasons and just love the throat space. I also had my significant other make a set of the quilting suspenders
(Jenoop system) and they work great for a large quilt.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:55 AM

I wanted to thank everyone again for responding to my thread. I went to the Babylock dealer, which is local. I tried out the Tiara III and I liked it. I love the throat space and it doesn't seem to be a complicated machine to learn to sew on and to maintain. It appears to be well constructed. I like that you can customize your speed, so I didn't purchase the stitch regulator. It has the programmable needle positioning needle up/down. It uses the large size capacity M class bobbin, a separate bobbin winder and low bobbin estimator warns you when bobbin is getting low. I think the dealer offered me a fair price. I also purchased the extra extension table. The machine hasn't arrived yet, but will probably be here tomorrow.

I have a lot of practicing to do. I had given up free-motion quilting because I was so tired of battling with trying to squeeze the quilt into such a small throat on my machine. It just wasn't any fun. I'm excited again about quilting.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:37 AM

Very exciting! Congrats on your new "toy".
Old 06-15-2017, 04:46 PM

Congratulations! Yes, you will now be able to quilt as much in the middle as the outsides of the quilt! With a domestic, I thought I was doing pretty good, but with a midarm, it's no comparison. I use a Sweet 16 and love it.