Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice On Sit Down Long Arms >

Advice On Sit Down Long Arms

Advice On Sit Down Long Arms

Old 06-12-2017, 12:29 PM

I don't know about any of these except the HQ Sweet 16 which I have. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! Also the HandiQuilter website has all kind of training videos (free and accessible 24/7). I pick up something new every single time I take the time to view one. For instance, this a.m. they had one on thread types, needles for long arms, bobbin control and tensions overall. It ran a little less than an hour and I picked up at least three things more that I had likely missed in previous videos. I got mine with the stitch regulator which I only use for the most intricate designs because FMQ is just so easy. I also got a lot of the quilting rulers available on the HQ site (pricey) as well as the Westaleer brand (very nice - also site tutorials).

Invest the time in continuing your own training. You won't regret it and most of it is free.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:47 PM

I love my HQ Sweet Sixteen and would buy her again tomorrow..... I got her because I went to IQF Houston and a friend bought one that day. I got mine a few years later (after she still was happy she had gotten and used hers). Try to go to a quilt show where the brands you want to see will be... that's the best way to see demos of many different ones!
Old 06-13-2017, 05:41 AM

I had a Phaff Grandquilter and it was nice. The problem I had was I was constantly rolling it and it seemed like it took forever to get a quilt finished. I did some research on long arm quilting. Sold my Phaff Grandquilter and upgraded to a used 24" Gammill that is stitch regulated. I was the second owner and have not regretted it at all. Everyones needs are different as well as likes. It worked out great for me and I love it. I was able to work out payments with the dealer and it worked for me. They were very nice and if I had any questions were always there for support and advice.

Last edited by Carol Jean; 06-13-2017 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:30 AM

I purchased George 4 yrs ago at the Paducah quilt show. Main reason was space & he sits in his table like a sewing machine does. I keep a 2' x 4' conference table behind him to add more space to hold the quilt while in the quilting process.

One thing to keep in mind is that when these machines are demoed, they are demoed w/a small quilt sandwich, not a throw size, twin size, queen size or king size quilt. The small sandwiches show the process very well but when you get the bulk of a large quilt under the needle, sometimes things can get a bit tricky, similar to quilting on a domestic machine.

"Learning to dance with George" was a challenge for me but once I learned the "steps" we did a lot better together. I am proficient at stippling & meandering but still have trouble w/feathers. I have found it difficult to use rulers because you still have to drive the fabric & manipulate the ruler all while keeping your stitching somewhat even. That said, I still love him & have had no problems that I could not handle w/either a phone call to APQS or on-line videos. Their product support is wonderful.

If you can manage it, going to a big show & demoing every sit-down machine is an excellent idea. The techs are there & you can drive everything you want to. If you can't, visit LQA & drive everything they have - more than once or twice or even 3 times. Take one of your larger tops & try that so you can get a feel of what you will really be doing.

Good luck & enjoy whatever decision you make. Kathy
Old 06-13-2017, 07:07 AM

Thank you for your information. I have found a dealer not too far from me. They actually have a Tiera III on display. I'm going to take it for a spin today. Does anyone have any experience with this machine?
Old 06-13-2017, 07:17 AM

Grammie- I have the original Tiara and absolutely love it. It is easy to use and the results are so much better than what I got trying to roll quilts and push/pull them through my domestic sewing machine. I have the stitch regulator, but only use it sometimes. I bought it, set it up, used it, and have never looked back. I'm sure the Tiara 3 would be an excellent machine.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:05 PM

I agree, you need to test drive the machines. I had a APQS and love the machine. We went to a demo from the dealer and tested the machine. We also went to several other manufacturers and tried their machines. We also asked questions on warranty and maintenance with repairs. At one of the dealers while we were there three of their machines came in for repairs. That is not good, since they could not be repaired at the owners locations. More cost. APQS we were able to repair at our home with emails and phone assistance from the factor. That was a big plus. Good luck and I hope you get a great machine for YOU.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by GrammieN View Post
Thank you for your information. I have found a dealer not too far from me. They actually have a Tiera III on display. I'm going to take it for a spin today. Does anyone have any experience with this machine?
I have the Tiara 1, totally love it, it is the same as the Sweet 16 & one of the Pfaff's. I was so fortunate when I bought mine 4 years ago there was a sewing expo nearby, I spent the whole three days trying all the sit down models, I liked the Sweet 16 type the best & the Babylock dealer had the best price that day & also was the dealer closest to me. The other models all had good features, so it depends on what is best for you, one brand (can't remember the name) seemed to have a better stitch regulator but the foot pedal was awkward & uncomfortable for my old feet, caused pain in my knees, the dealer said it couldn't be changed or adapted. I've heard the Tiara III has improvements from the first, and the first is great.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:59 AM

I recently bought a Tiara III (Babylock). It is a forward facing machine which is what I wanted. Gives you large open area for quilt movement. Good throat space. No stitch regulator purchased. It's a simple mechanical machine which works very well. Store offers great training and support. Very happy with it!
Old 06-14-2017, 05:31 AM

I have played with one of the Tiara machines (pretty sure it was a III) in a table about 6 months ago and I liked it. I couldn't get past the stitch regulator though, it seemed so clunky. But that seems to be how most sit-down LA's do stitch regulation, so unless I want to pony up $12K for the Q20 I might just have to learn to live with it or just do without.

That was really my only complaint about the machine though. Nice smooth stitches, seemed pretty easy to use, lots of throat space, decent looking table. I didn't try to thread it, though, mostly was just playing with it. That's going to be something I want to make sure is easy when I'm shopping more seriously. I also can't remember what bobbin size it had.