Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice of Washing or Not Washing Garage Sale Fabric?

Blog Entries
    i wouldn't buy any fabric that was from a garage sale and not washed. as soon as i'd open your package, now that fabric is in my house and bugs could escape.

Wouldn't bother me. I love to buy fabric from yard sales or discount rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by wuv2quilt
    That...and did you see my maggot thread of a bunch of maggots hatching in fabric I bought from an estate sale??

WASH IT!!

:shock: :shock: WHAT :shock: :shock: do you have a link, cause I sure didn't see this :shock: :shock: :shock:[/quote]

Here you go!! http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-82183-1.htm

Blog Entries
    I do not like to work with washed fabric. If selling, just let people know what you have told us. I just would not worry about it (smile).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    That...and did you see my maggot thread of a bunch of maggots hatching in fabric I bought from an estate sale??

WASH IT!!
    Oh Candace, I missed that. Eeeeeeew, I bet you were totally grossed out.

I'm with you - unless it comes from a store and is cut from the bolt, washing is a must for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    As long as a note is attached to the item when it's posted, I think it would be up to the buyer to do whatever.

There are some that do not like to work with washed fabrics.
    Yup. If you know you won't use it, just state the condition of the fabric in your listing.

"Bought at a yard sale, decided I didn't want it. I have not washed it."

Good disclosure.

Who knows if the original owner washed it, kwim?

. . . this is making my head itch . . . ick!

Blog Entries
    Hot dryer suggestion is good. However, for me, I am the wash it, dry it, iron it gal...and, yep, I do have ocd... You should have seen me on our last trip to Vegas...my poor hubby and son probably thought would have been easier to have driven, so I would have had our car to sleep in.. :-D
    Kif

I would, but that's me.

I wash all fabric! As a Nurse I've worked in NYC and seen the fabric warehouses. Even had roaches in my clinic- UGH! If you plan to sell it- put the fabric in zippered sealed plastic bags, and let potential buyers know it is up to them to do as they please. I recently bought some fabric at the Thrift store- found live spiders inside the package!

I always wash and dry all fabric new or used. why risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms
    I know the washing/not washing fabric question has been discussed in depth but my question is regarding some fabric that I bought at a yard sale. There is some very nice fabric in the bag (like some that was just listed here for sale) that I know I won't use. I would like to list it here for sale and then keep what I want to use myself.

Ok, now do I wash and iron it before listing or do I list it with the caveat that it was purchased at yard sale and has not been washed? The seller were "upscale" and actually was a jewelry maker and had really nice things. I haven't brought the fabric inside yet...its in my car as I was undecided what to do.

Would it bother any of you to buy fabric listed like this?
    if I were going to pass the fabric on, I'd leave it in the garage and then tell the next buyer where it came from
    WITHOUT WASHING

Anything I kept would hit the washer first off.

I have bought loads of fabric from garage sales, flea markets, etc and PLEASE PLEASE always wash it! You don't know where it has been or where the saler got it from.

I would wash it but not iron it until I was ready to use it. To me, it doesn't matter where it comes from, I feel better with clean fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by PegD
    Wouldn't bother me.
    Same here.

I would wash it! If I know it is garage sale fabric, I personally wouldn't buy it unless it had been washed. I see some of the fabric being offered in classified as "washed", so I know people will buy it already washed. We are advised to wash all thrift store washables before we use them to eliminate the possibility of bugs, and bed bugs in particular.

i wash all my fabric before i use it. and that i would wash before bought in to my house.

Blog Entries
    I think you would have to be your own judge. I would certainly unfold it and examine it for stains, etc. I learned to do that even with new fabric. You just never know what is inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan
    You could go directly to the laundry mat and put in the hot dryer for longer than 30 minutes. This is what I read that 30 minutes of heat kills bed bugs? That is the pest I would be most worried about.
    The idea about the dryer sounds like a good one. If I didn't use the dryer, I'd wash it first before using it or before putting it on sale. I'd feel better about its being pre-washed. That just me. Good luck :-D
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by angelarose
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan
    You could go directly to the laundry mat and put in the hot dryer for longer than 30 minutes. This is what I read that 30 minutes of heat kills bed bugs? That is the pest I would be most worried about.
    The idea about the dryer sounds like a good one. If I didn't use the dryer, I'd wash it first before using it or before putting it on sale. I'd feel better about its being pre-washed. That just me. Good luck :-D
    A.
    I just wrote an attachment and haven't any idea where it went to, but what I wrote is this:
    Washing, drying and ironing the fabric would help show you the quality of each piece. If I'm wrong, please someone PM me.
    Thanks,
    A.

I use my "steam sanitizer" setting on my dryer for 20 to 30 minutes. My new dryer tells me how long by the weight of the load. I didn't realize that I would need an engineer's degree to use the darn thing!

Why should someone else buy something you would not bring into your home? Just think of you being on the receiving end and treat the fabric the way you would want it to be treated if you were buying it and paying shipping.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    As long as a note is attached to the item when it's posted, I think it would be up to the buyer to do whatever.

There are some that do not like to work with washed fabrics.
    I would wash it/say that it has been washed. if they want it they buy-if not/they pass. simple. do what is right for you.

as stated above, the epidemic of bed bugs, and other critters is rampant right now, so, even tho i do not usually wash fabric, i would at least dry it, and maybe just rinse it in hot water, then dried...and state on your description that the fabric has been washed...

I buy fabric from thrift stores and garage sales all the time, but none of it finds its way into my sewing room until it goes through the laundry room. It may be sealed in plastic, etc. but you have no way of knowing where its been or what its been exposed to.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast