Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advise/Opinions on Long Arming >

Advise/Opinions on Long Arming

Advise/Opinions on Long Arming

Old 08-06-2011, 04:29 AM

I recently bought an Avante and we are fast becoming friends. I have completed nine quilts on it and my skills are becoming better - even did a quilt for a friend. It is a big expenditure to begin with, you need lots of space and good thread is costly. BUT the satisfaction from completing the whole thing - PRICELESS

Check out the brands, test drive and get the one that suits you
Old 08-06-2011, 04:44 AM

Started machine quilting on my Pfaff Grand Quilter, bought a Hinterburg frame, used the two of them together for about a year, then purchased a Voyager 17 to use. Took a while to get use to it, but am very happy with it. I quilt just for me and don't plan on trying to make any money using it.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:47 AM

I have been researching LA for about 6-8 months now, have it narrowed down to 2 or three but not ready to decide yet!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ghetohound
Hi All...Im hoping for a little advise.

Im very curious about long-arm quilting. I know the long-arms are truly expensive and a purchase like that is not to be taken lightly.

I would like anyone who has purchased and used a long arm to give me a little background on their level of expertise when they decided to take the jump and try it.

The reason im asking is that I am truly hooked on quilting! Yes I know I have only done two quilts, but I know myself well enough to know when I love something and this, is one of a very short list.

With that being said,
Did it take you long to learn it and what level of a quilter would you have considered yourself when you decided to buy it?
I "tried" out a longarm at every quilt show that had one available. I also was able to rent from a couple of the local quilt shops before I purchased. If there is any chance for you to do that, I'd recomend you do that. You have to pay for a class on the longarm and that class pays for itself when you get your own machine because you will feel more comfortable and not be afraid to get started. I know a couple of gals that bought and then never used their machine because they didn't know what to do. They ended up selling.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I've been quilting since I was 16, and I'm now 28. I love quilting, and began to seriously look into getting a long arm for about 3 years. I have tried all types of machines, and multiple times each. Every time I went to a quilt show, I'd try all the machines, and write down pros/cons of each. Then I'd go home and research more. I've joined quite a few yahoo groups, and talked to tons of people.

So, after 3 years of serious thought, and MULTIPLE try outs of the machines, I've decided on the Nolting for me. So I'll be saving up for one, and in 2 years for my 30th birthday (or earlier) DH and I will be buying one.

I have also used one of my friends Noltings to quilt two charity quilts, so although I don't own one right now, I do know how they handle, and can say that I have quilted on one.

You need to find the one that's right for you. The one that I want, may or may not be the one for you!
That is awesome to have other young quilters out there like me. This is good advice. I will use it as well when I finally have room and a place to longarm
Old 08-06-2011, 06:23 AM

No matter which machine you purchase, the vender will tel you PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE. If you do this, your level increases dramatically. Love my Gammil.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:13 AM

All these replies telling you to do the research are exactly right. I joined several yahoo groups for machines I thought were the best for me. One had post after post with problems that were ongoing and very little manufacturer support. I marked that one off first. I was still a novice quilter and had never used a longarm other than trying them out at shows. I checked them out at quilt shops and shows. I researched for 1 1/2 years, 7 months ago I purchased an 18" Innova on a 12 ' frame. A wonderful machine and the frame is the best I have ever seen. I haven't taken lessons which I am sure is a better way. I am learning from a few good dvd's I purchased, great youtube videos and info I learn on this board. I have done probably 10 quilts now, have much to learn but lots of improvement as I go. I have several health hurdles, quilting is my therapy that actually works! Good luck.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

As Mandyk said, practice and realize there is a learning curve. I agree with you and others that the quilt I make has to be all done by me. Good Luck to you!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

I started quilting in 2006 and bought my longarm (26" Innova on 12' frame) at the end of 2009. Before that I quilted in sections, and that worked well on most quilts. I had no experience on the longarm when I bought it, and I really have not practiced as much as I should have since then. I do not quilt professionally - just my own quilts and some charity quilts for the guilds.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by harley
Just buy the good thread/ no cheep stuff the long arm will not like it.thread is 16.00--to 28.00 round about.batting isn't cheep neither it goes up all the time. :|
I haven't found thread to be all that expensive. My Innova loves this thread - http://metroemb.com/ - and the big spools (5500 yards) are $2.25. I have also used cheap Star thread with no problems (although it creates a lot of lint). Superior threads are on sale at all the machine quilting shows, and a cone lasts a long time. This may be something to consider when you look for a machine - whether it's fussy about threads or not.