Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advise/Opinions on Long Arming >

Advise/Opinions on Long Arming

Advise/Opinions on Long Arming

Old 08-07-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by harley
Just buy the good thread/ no cheep stuff the long arm will not like it.thread is 16.00--to 28.00 round about.batting isn't cheep neither it goes up all the time. :|
I haven't found thread to be all that expensive. My Innova loves this thread - http://metroemb.com/ - and the big spools (5500 yards) are $2.25. I have also used cheap Star thread with no problems (although it creates a lot of lint). Superior threads are on sale at all the machine quilting shows, and a cone lasts a long time. This may be something to consider when you look for a machine - whether it's fussy about threads or not.

What kind of machine do you have? You really use this polyestor thread on your LA and it works ok? I havent' heard of the price but it is a very good price. I liek to use cotton--usually Star or Gutterman (as that is what I can buy locally) and I recently quilted a quilt for someone who sent along the thread they wanted me to use on it and it was Isacord polyestor thread. It quilted nice and didn't break. My machine was fine with it. (I hadn't really tried any polyestor thread before that). I have since bought more Isacord thread but I don't have anywhere real local to buy it from. (I'm sure I can find it online) I also use Connecting Threads cotton thread that I order from Connecting Threads. That also works good on my LA (I have a TIn Lizzie) and that is only a little over $3 for (I think) around 5000 yards. it is on sale right now until August 15th for 30% off so I will be ordering some. I would never ever pay over $7 for a spool of thread with only 5000 yds on it!! I will definitiely be ordering some of this thread and trying it out--the price is right!!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:30 PM

I'm sure you'll have pages and pages to read. . . but here is my story. I started making quilts with scisors and newspaper patterns in 1971! I've been hooked ever since. I tied the first few quilts, then tried my hand at machine quilting on my small machine. That was for the birds! The first time I discovered a longarm quilter in my area, and took a quilt to her, I was excited at the result. That was in 1997 or 1998. I started researching longarms in 2001 and finally bought mine in 2003, when my mother loaned me 2/3 of the money. My new husband was very supportive. And I knew it was too expensive a machine to just have for pleasure.
I practiced for a year and donated a lot of baby quilts to my 2 guilds, and then I started introducing myself as "Your longarm quilter." Finally someone took the plunge and brought me a quilt. I've been buidling my business ever since and I love it.