Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Afghan women are coming to quilt! >

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:21 PM

Please do keep us updated. What a loving outreach. Prayers and hugs coming your way.
Originally Posted by redkimba
Good luck with the outreach. Please keep us updated. I would love to hear of your adventures.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 PM

cudos to you and stay safe.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 PM

this would be so much fun.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
I am so excited! I started a quilt/knit/crochet group two weeks after I arrived in Afghanistan (my sewing machine was here two weeks before I was) and it has been a huge hit. We make quilts and clothing for local children. Well, we decided some months ago to see if we could reach out to Afghan women to see if they would be open to quilting with us. I got the word from security today that our first group of women will be here this weekend. Electricity is a luxury for the rich outside the gate so I will be supplying hand needles, thread and materials to get the women started on a crib size quilt top. There will be a total of five women and they are bringing pastries and beverages locally and we are going to share our american cuisine with them. My question is how would you conduct your quilting get-togethers? Are there any dos or don'ts? There is a language barrier for some but a few are fluent in english and dari/farsi. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Just remember to smile a lot. It is the international language! You will automatically find ways to visit, you are women. (Sorry, that sounded sexist, but really I have seen it between American and Japanese women, when I worked for a Japanese company.)
Old 04-08-2011, 10:36 PM

how wonderful .I wish you well , I always found it easier to follow some one step by step than read instrutions or follow what some one was saying,so I dont think you will have much difficulty , Good luck and enjoy.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:25 PM

That is a great Idea. you gathered their women to teach them about quilting. Probably by being patient, and showing them what you know, they will be grateful for that. It's wonderful what you are doing god bless you.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:21 AM

Hoo Rah! People like you are really blessed. How wonderful to be helping women across the world to help themselves. You definitly will make a difference for many yrs to come. Thank you.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:17 AM
KLO

I have not gone through and read all the posts for your question but I think if you do the Greg Mortenson (Three Cups of Tea) thing, you will be fine. It's all about respect for the culture and being kind. Don't push your faith or ideas onto them, just lead them through the sewing/quilting process. Maybe laugh with them when needed and be courteous all the time. Show them the basics and maybe some samples and they will be on their way. Share with them and ask them about themselves throughout the process. Many thanks for what you do and will do!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:43 PM

that really sounds interesting and fun.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:16 PM

After you get them stitching, you might demonstrate something that is "magical" like the 10 minute block. Seems like it would be fascinating and easy for beginning quilters. Do a step-by-step demonstration and let the women be surprised at what evolves!

Looking forward to seeing pictures and seeing what your group looks like.

Sue