Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Afghan women are coming to quilt! >

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Love how your sewing machine was there and waiting for you!

Would you care to share what your other role in Afghanistan is? I'm sure it is not totally for quilting outreach programs!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 AM

What everyone else said! It's so important for us to share cultural differences with others and in so doing, find common ground to celebrate.

I don't have any advice on how to conduct your "class" except to keep your designs and stitching on the simple side to begin, and perhaps you could explain to the english-speaking ladies that you are unfamiliar with their customs and perhaps they could advise you and give you some information so you don't unintentionally offend anyone. I'm sure they will be very understanding and most cooperative. I think your project will be really successful - after all, women are women everywhere with many of the same goals and interests. You'll probably learn a lot from them, too.

Good luck, have fun and please let us know how it's going!

Also, should you need fabric or any supplies, please let us on the Board know. We'll be glad to help.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I have no tips but I would think if they can see it then they can do it. So maybe work a project just ahead of them and show a finnished project. This is wonderful. Can't wait to hear how it goes and see the finnished quilts.
What a generous and kind gesture (((HUGS)))

I agree, seeing ahead of time what each step looks like is very helpful :D:D:D
Old 04-07-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
What a wonderful thing you are doing for these women!!!
Ditto !! :-D :thumbup: :thumbup:
Will watch for updates !! :-D
Old 04-08-2011, 01:35 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I never thought about not depicting people and animals with fabric. Goodness! I am so glad I came here first before laying out my fabric. We are going to keep the "cuisine" simple. Our dining facility serve Afghans as well as coalition troops so we have kosher, vegeterian and porkless stuff to chose from. Another member, abconsultant gave me some good stuff too. I've been trying to do this for months so I am floating on cloud nine right now. I just want everything to turn out positive because the women here have so many preconceptions about american women and many are not so good. If course I will keep you all posted and I will post pictures if the women are open to it. You all rock!
Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 AM

If you give an even amount of attention and assistance to all and don't play "favourites", I think everyone is kept happy regardless of communication problems. The English speaking women will gladly assist with translation, I am sure. Good luck with your venture.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 AM

Wouldn't it be great if they had a couple of handcrank sewing machines to play with. Good luck with you program. Do you have fabric readily available?
Old 04-08-2011, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora
Wouldn't it be great if they had a couple of handcrank sewing machines to play with. Good luck with you program. Do you have fabric readily available?
I tried to get some treadle sewing machines when I first got here. They are very cheap and durable at about $15 a pop for the ones made in Pakistan and India. The problem is they could be rigged to do more than just sew. I'm sticking to hand needles for now.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:18 AM

Good luck with your venture and have fun.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Love how your sewing machine was there and waiting for you!

Would you care to share what your other role in Afghanistan is? I'm sure it is not totally for quilting outreach programs!
I am a senior HR sergeant for the American Forces Network Afghanistan (AFN). The mission of AFN is to spread positive messages and command information to troops on the battlefield and overseas via TV and radio. We are the only source of entertainment in theater (along with Stars and Stripes newspaper) and we have been entertaining troops and keeping them informed for almost 68 years. I know this sounds like a commercial but I am so proud of the broadcasters and maintainers that I support that I give them kudos every chance I get.