Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Afghan women are coming to quilt! >

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Old 04-08-2011, 10:17 AM

For the future...what about getting some hand-crank models of Featherweights. I know they are in use in India and Africia. Some even work on DC where you hook it up to a couple of car batteries.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
I am so excited! I started a quilt/knit/crochet group two weeks after I arrived in Afghanistan (my sewing machine was here two weeks before I was) and it has been a huge hit. We make quilts and clothing for local children. Well, we decided some months ago to see if we could reach out to Afghan women to see if they would be open to quilting with us. I got the word from security today that our first group of women will be here this weekend. Electricity is a luxury for the rich outside the gate so I will be supplying hand needles, thread and materials to get the women started on a crib size quilt top. There will be a total of five women and they are bringing pastries and beverages locally and we are going to share our american cuisine with them. My question is how would you conduct your quilting get-togethers? Are there any dos or don'ts? There is a language barrier for some but a few are fluent in english and dari/farsi. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If people on the board had extra fabrics ( and we all do) or thread or supplies would it be able to be transported by military to avoid shipping cost. I would so love to help you. I am at the beginning stage to see what I can do to help the woman of the south Sudan to start making quilts and a website to sell them on to help with schools and building homes and medical clinics in the south that has been liberated. Forget the politics and help the people. They are really great seamstress's The first time I went to africa i went to this village market and this lady had a small crude stand and a sewing machine that was run by turning a wheel. I asked what she was making and her answer was" anything you would like." So I asked if she could make me a shirt, it cost me less than 10 american dollars and I picked it up the next day in the AM. I am going to post a picture of it. It was beautifuly done and thats when I got the idea. SEW let me know if we can send you fabrics, therads or notions. I would love to help

This is the shirt and that is my Grand daughter Ashley
[ATTACH=CONFIG]181328[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-181322.jpe  
Old 04-08-2011, 10:39 AM

You'll have a wonderful time and learn a lot from them. I expect both groups will come to love each other. I wish I could participate.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by rfbrazell
Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
I am so excited! I started a quilt/knit/crochet group two weeks after I arrived in Afghanistan (my sewing machine was here two weeks before I was) and it has been a huge hit. We make quilts and clothing for local children. Well, we decided some months ago to see if we could reach out to Afghan women to see if they would be open to quilting with us. I got the word from security today that our first group of women will be here this weekend. Electricity is a luxury for the rich outside the gate so I will be supplying hand needles, thread and materials to get the women started on a crib size quilt top. There will be a total of five women and they are bringing pastries and beverages locally and we are going to share our american cuisine with them. My question is how would you conduct your quilting get-togethers? Are there any dos or don'ts? There is a language barrier for some but a few are fluent in english and dari/farsi. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If people on the board had extra fabrics ( and we all do) or thread or supplies would it be able to be transported by military to avoid shipping cost. I would so love to help you. I am at the beginning stage to see what I can do to help the woman of the south Sudan to start making quilts and a website to sell them on to help with schools and building homes and medical clinics in the south that has been liberated. Forget the politics and help the people. They are really great seamstress's The first time I went to africa i went to this village market and this lady had a small crude stand and a sewing machine that was run by turning a wheel. I asked what she was making and her answer was" anything you would like." So I asked if she could make me a shirt, it cost me less than 10 american dollars and I picked it up the next day in the AM. I am going to post a picture of it. It was beautifuly done and thats when I got the idea. SEW let me know if we can send you fabrics, therads or notions. I would love to help
Love all of your ideas; love your shirt; love how your granddaughter is holding the shirt...mouths are good for a lot of things. I'd be glad to help too. I have a fabric website with oodles of fabric, and I'd toss some to Afghanistan. I think we might be going a little too fast for SiennaGigi...let her get her feet wet with one class first!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:54 AM

Hi Robert,
Oh wow, you "get it" given your experiences in Africa.
I have read Three Cups of Tea and Stones into Schools by Greg Mortenson who lives in Bozeman. I clearly understand the need for training and educating women in Afghanistan. The saying I have heard goes something like this, "Educate a man (Afghan) and you educate a person, educate/train a woman and you train a whole village."
I wonder if possibly Greg has shipping connections set up with the military or other non-profit so the donations that come from quilters could be sent to Greg and then forwarded.
Nope, I do not live in Bozeman, actually I live in Eastern Washington.
From what you write I would think you have the knowledge to spear-head this project.
FYI, the Wounded Warrior quilt project, Just One Star has ties to the Marine's organization, Semper Fi. I wonder if there could be a connection made that way. Just trying out ideas. Libber
Old 04-08-2011, 10:55 AM

I'll suggest a coin quilt, very easy and fast! Also, at the beginning perhaps have a go around of all attending, stating name, what they already know, what they wish to learn, and a little about their general background. That will give you a gauge of how to lead the session. Good luck!

I had another idea, it looks like you are covered materials wise, but would you perhaps like donations of quilting books? It would be great if your program continues to have a little lending library set up!
Old 04-08-2011, 11:06 AM

[quote=whereaminow]
Originally Posted by Dandish
That is very wonderful and interesting! In that part of the world (I don't know about Afghanistan in particular) they have a long rich history of a wonderful cross-stitch type of work called "tatreez" in arabic. Some of it is stunning. It is often times uniquely stylized in each particular village/region, much in the same fashion as the amish in certain areas use only certain colors and/or patterns...quote]

I agree with all the sentiments expressed regarding the potential fun and enlightment you will be sure to have. A thought I had when reading the various posts: You didn't mention if these guests have any prior 'needle' experience. If you don't know, please make sure you don't assume that they know nothing of sewing techniques. This would be disrespectful. They quite possibly have very good needle skills. I've known people who assume that persons of another culture don't know 'squat' about the things they are sharing, when in fact the other culture was far more advanced in skill.
Most of the women here still make their own clothing so I am starting with the assumption that they have good sewing skills. I think I will start with a meet and greet type setting offering food and beverages then we will go from there. They will want to practice their english and I will be brushing up on my dari. From there we will probably segway into quilting/sewing.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Plain Jane
What a wonderful opportunity for all of you! We had an injured Afghani live with us years ago as he received medical care. It was a wonderful experience. It will be interesting to see how they incorporate their own culture into the designs if they stick with it. You know far more than I about the rich tradition of hospitality in that culture, so what a great chance to show the same. Do you have a quilting frame? Maybe another thing to start with would be a small individual project that can be quilted in a hoop. I bet we could get some hoops sent to you! PM me if there is anything you need sent from the states.
We do not have the space for a quilting frame and I do not know much about using hoops. I will have to research that and see if it is something we could incorporate at a later date. I will keep you posted and maybe ask for your help. I really appreciate your offer as well as the offer of others. I will keep everyone posted on what happens Sunday and then discuss what could happen from there. You all are so wonderful. I have to take inventory of what I have before I accept or ask for anything. It looks as if I am set for now. Thank you.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

I'd say just go with the flow and don't assume anything. They may not know a lot about "modern" quilting tools but then again, they may. Find out what they know and do the sessions like you would with other sewers. Adjust as needed. It's going to be a blast.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by KellyK
I'll suggest a coin quilt, very easy and fast! Also, at the beginning perhaps have a go around of all attending, stating name, what they already know, what they wish to learn, and a little about their general background. That will give you a gauge of how to lead the session. Good luck!

I had another idea, it looks like you are covered materials wise, but would you perhaps like donations of quilting books? It would be great if your program continues to have a little lending library set up!

Thanks for the offer and a lending library sounds great but I have to see if I could get someone as reliable and passionate about quilting to keep it going after I leave. I would hate to have you send things and they lay around unused or even worse thrown away. I will see what the next few months will bring and how this pans out. I'll keep you posted.