Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: After 38 yrs of sewing, I learned something new today

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    there is also different sewing machine oil so best to check with your dealer I have a Pfaff and a Bernina the Pfaff takes a clear oil and the bernina takes a yellow colored one and was told to never mix the two up as would mess up my machines I buy both at my Bernina dealer
    The oil I buy at the Bernina dealer is clear. ? It comes in a dispenser tube that has Bernina name on it. It's the only oil the dealer sells. I'll have to ask about the colored oil.
    Got fabric?

I just looked at my manual on the machine I use the most... it says it doesn't need to be oiled. The other machines get oiled with sewing machine oil that I bought about 25 years ago at an old Minnesota Fabrics store.

Anita in Northfield, MN

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much for this information. I knew you were to use only sewing machine oil but did not why. Now I know and can sound so smart when I tell others, lol...thanks for sharing.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

We're never too old to learn. I have always been told to use sewing machine oil ( and I do) but didn't know why. Now I do. Thanks for sharing.

Never knew why it was important to use ONLY sewing machine oil, but learned that a LONG time ago. Thanks for sharing why we must use sewing machine oil. Soooo glad I have always used it!! I just love this board and all the things we learn. Another "old dog" has learned something!!!
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by anita211 View Post
    I just looked at my manual on the machine I use the most... it says it doesn't need to be oiled. The other machines get oiled with sewing machine oil that I bought about 25 years ago at an old Minnesota Fabrics store.
    Anita in Northfield, MN
    Wow, I don't know of any better way to prove sewing machine oil is different from all other types of oil than to look at your 25 yr old sewing machine oil. Regular oil would have thickened and darkened into a blob after 2-1/2 decades! LOL Your oil won't evaporate, since the lid is on it, but it is certainly a testimony to sewing machine oil!
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

Blog Entries
    I was always told to use the machine oil, when i bought my first machine almost forty years ago, i was told to never use 3 in1, only the machine oil, i am glad i do listen, i caught my hubs getting ready to put the 3 in 1 in my machine, and i almost broke his arm, i said leave my machines to me.
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing that. I'd never heard that either.

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know that either. Now I do thanks to you.
    Kim

T.
    Thanks for the information, I didn't know that either. Now you are not the only one learning something new.

Nice to know.

Quote Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
    I always use the regular sewing machine oil...never WD-40 as it isn't intended for the machines either. But...that said, I hate it when the oil discolors and you have to throw it away. Why can't they make oil that stays good enough to use for a few years???
    Hah, my hubby's answer to everything is WD-40!! I buy my sewing machine oil at Walmart, sold right above the sewing machines - but I only have 2 machines left in the house any more that need to be oiled - the others are newer and are not to be oiled. :-)

Mary
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Oh that is what I love about this board- we all learn something new !! Thanks for sharing ..
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

i never knew that and i only use the sewing machine oil but thank you for the info

Blog Entries
    No oil machines need oil! When taken in for cleaning the tech will oil key areas. The gears are embedded with silicone and are self lubricating and oil is not needed for those areas. But if the machine is not used the lubrication will dry up and take a toll on the machine to self lubricate. Never put a no oil machine in the closet and leave it for a long time. If you have a one that hasn't been used in a long time it will need a tiny bit of oil to get going smooth.
    Got fabric?

I have never used anything but sewing machine oil. My last oil can came with a retractable long spout which makes oiling my machine easy.

Years ago my mother was fighting with her black Singer and she thought it needed to be oiled. Not having any sewing machine oil, she used salad oil. That meant a trip to the repairman who told her never to do that again! LOL

Blog Entries
    jThank for the info. Never knew why just sewing machine oil but always used just that. Thats a great question for my next quild meeting.

WOW I never knew this, you can bet on that I will only use sewing machine oil from now on, THANKS!!!
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

Thanks for the info. I had wondered why the sewing oil is always stressed, so now I know too. I always like to know why? I'm almost as bad as a five year old.
    jean

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I heard that once...so I opened a bottle, and left it sitting out for 3 months..it never evaporated!

Blog Entries
    Really! Thanks for the info.
    Mountain Woman

Will pass the Info. to others. Thank you! I didn't know that.

Wow! I just learned something as well, and I've been sewing almost as long as you have! Live and learn. That's one thing I love about sewing and quilting. There's always something to learn. Now I'm going to start using my sewing machine oil on the dog clippers, as I sick of cleaning the gooped up oil residue off those blades!
    MacThayer

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    I heard that once...so I opened a bottle, and left it sitting out for 3 months..it never evaporated!
    Jacquie,

I agree with you - sewing machine oil does NOT evaporate.

I googled to see where this thought could possibly have come from and I could find a statement on the internet that oil evaporates BUT that statement was clarified by saying the oil pools or collects in low spots when the machine sits.

Just like in your car: When the car is running, the oil circulates. When the car is not running, the oil 'pools' in the oil pan. Did the oil in the car evaporate? No.

Sewing machines do not have an oil pan, sometimes they have a drip pan. On older machines when you take the drip pan off you will find all kinds of icky, black stuff which is the used oil that has dripped off the machine. This used oil gets its blackened color due to friction caused when the oiled machine runs and is actually finite metal shavings, lint and/or dust that has acumlated in the exposed oil.

Icky black oil remnants can harden with age due to all the impurities (shavings/dust/lint) it collected while in use. Is see this kind of stuff all the time when cleaning up my old Singers.

Shari

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast