Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: After 38 yrs of sewing, I learned something new today

On the Vintage and Antique section of the Board I've seen mention many times of synthetic TriFlow lubricant as being superior to sewing machine oil for lubrication. Other oils can harden into brown gunk over time. Old sewing machines were commonly wiped down on the outside with sewing machine oil to preserve them, which has created a dark brown gummy coating. I have many treadle machines waiting for a good cleaning. Sewing machine oil should dissolve the gunk on the outside without harming the beautiful gold decals, and I'll be using TriFlow inside.

I would think that if the sewing machine oil evaporated, then it would have to be water base. ???
    Have a blessed day.

Linda

Sewing machine oil is not the only type of liquid that evaporates. So does alcohol, paint thinner, gasoline... and those aren't water based. I found the information on a mechanic's website.

http://quiltdasher.blogspot.com
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

Good to know. We can never stop learning!
    Love 4 stchen

Did you also know that the sewing machine oil will spoil? Yes it does. It doesn't last very long. I have to buy oil every six months. That is what my sewing machine repair man told me.

Quote Originally Posted by babindg12200 View Post
    Did you also know that the sewing machine oil will spoil? Yes it does. It doesn't last very long. I have to buy oil every six months. That is what my sewing machine repair man told me.
    Your sewing machine repair man wants your money. Sewing machine oil does not spoil. I have a clear bottle of sewing machine oil that is 12 yrs old, it's still as clear as the day I bought it.
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

Blog Entries
    I have never used anything but sewing machine oil. I am sure glad I never ran out and tried my husbands oil.

My sewing machine tech says you won't believe how many machines he gets in that are gummed up from 3 in 1 oil. Of course when they get the lecture when they pick up their machine. lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3