Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Airline Travel With Quilting Supplies >

Airline Travel With Quilting Supplies

Airline Travel With Quilting Supplies

Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 AM

Yeah, and I know an old Granny who had her yarn bag and #8 hook confiscated---they were afraid she was going to crochet an Afghan.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 AM

I wish they had a universal rulling for all airports instead of having to learn the individual countries rules.

Returning from China they kept our hand santizier because it had too high an alcohol content. It was a little 2oz container inside a ziplock bag. I guess a person could start a fire with hand sanatizer with aloe vera.

And even if you bought a bottle of water after the screening area they took it away from you when you boarded the plane.

In the US, I had a screener attempt to take my less then 3" scissors with a rounded edge and mostly plastic, it only had a little bit of metal along the edge. I pulled out the rules I had printed and a tape measure (don't we all carry a tape measure in our purse?) to show the screaner that it was less then 3" and had a rounded tip-so why are you wanting to take my scissors? He let me keep my scissors.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
I wish they had a universal rulling for all airports instead of having to learn the individual countries rules.

Returning from China they kept our hand santizier because it had too high an alcohol content. It was a little 2oz container inside a ziplock bag. I guess a person could start a fire with hand sanatizer with aloe vera.

And even if you bought a bottle of water after the screening area they took it away from you when you boarded the plane.

In the US, I had a screener attempt to take my less then 3" scissors with a rounded edge and mostly plastic, it only had a little bit of metal along the edge. I pulled out the rules I had printed and a tape measure (don't we all carry a tape measure in our purse?) to show the screaner that it was less then 3" and had a rounded tip-so why are you wanting to take my scissors? He let me keep my scissors.
This happened to me with a very small pair of PRE-School scissors with very rounded ends and made of plastic. I tried to talk to the person in security but he held up my scissors, touched the "blade" and, hesitating for a bit, finally said "very bad".... the guy couldn't speak English!!!! My daughter bought me the clover cutter for my later trips, but I kept it in my purse, not on my body, so it wouldn't attract attention.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:06 PM

This happened to me with a very small pair of PRE-School scissors with very rounded ends and made of plastic. I tried to talk to the person in security but he held up my scissors, touched the "blade" and, hesitating for a bit, finally said "very bad".... the guy couldn't speak English!!!! My daughter bought me the clover cutter for my later trips, but I kept it in my purse, not on my body, so it wouldn't attract attention.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Be aware that other count rise are far more stringent than the U.S. When it comes to airline restrictions!, as much as it is a pain(and I am very vocal when angry)things such as scissors, nail clippers, matches, lighters and knitting needles are a big NO. Can't amuse myself except music, reading and computer games. Only thing that will make it thru are the small cutters and needlepoint. Mexiconis particularly stringent. Freedom from worry means a price and much as I hate it, it is a price I'm willing to pay (other than that nasty e ray machine gizmo that sees everything!).
Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 PM

A friend came from Indy to NC and on her way back they took her rotary cutter and seam ripper out of her checked bag. I thought if it was checked, it was ok. Not like you would go into the hold to get them out and use them. I agree that they don't need to be in your carry on but in the checked bag. I think that was over the top!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ann L
A friend came from Indy to NC and on her way back they took her rotary cutter and seam ripper out of her checked bag. I thought if it was checked, it was ok. Not like you would go into the hold to get them out and use them. I agree that they don't need to be in your carry on but in the checked bag. I think that was over the top!
That's wrong. I'd report it just to see what would happen. It was checked, it shouldn't have been taken.

I've been seeing a lot of reports lately where the baggage screeners have been arrested for stealing stuff.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:15 PM

oops double post
Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ann L
That's wrong. I'd report it just to see what would happen. It was checked, it shouldn't have been taken.

I've been seeing a lot of reports lately where the baggage screeners have been arrested for stealing stuff.
She did and hasn't heard back from them. Go figure!