Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Alaska quilt shops recommendations >

Alaska quilt shops recommendations

Alaska quilt shops recommendations

Old 05-22-2014, 01:36 PM

Default Alaska quilt shops recommendations

Will be going to Alaska in July. Can anyone recommend any quilt shops in Anchorage ...Fairbanks ..Dawson..Whitehorse..Ketchikan or Skagway?
Thanks. Terry
Old 05-22-2014, 02:15 PM

Oh how funny that you asked! Timing is everything! Yesterday I was reading the Spring/Summer issue of Quilt Sampler focused on their picks for the top 11 Quilt Shops and one was in Fairbanks, Alaska called The Material Girls. From the pictures it seemed to be fairly large with a good variety including native prints and quilts on display. No address was given but I did a quick online search and found 3065 College Road, Fairbanks, AK 99709. I have also been to the Quilted Raven in downtown Anchorage. It was a small shop but carried a very nice selection of fabrics from Alaskan Designers and had a number of very nice kits for table runners and quilts. Address is 415 G Street, Anchorage, AK 99501. I know there are a couple other shops around Anchorage but I didn't make it to those so cannot comment.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:23 PM

I have to look for that issue. It must be a brand new one. I save them all.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

There is a seller on eBay her name is alaskaquiltingadventures. You can always send her an email and find out if she has an actual store. Have fun and stay warm !!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:27 PM

I went on an Alaskan cruise a couple of years ago and found 2 while I was there. Silver Thimble was in Ketchikan. It was on the 2nd floor of a very small mall/marketplace. The one in Skagway was my favorite. I think it was simply called Alaska Quilts. We were just walking through town and I looked up and there it was. They had MANY, MANY pretty flannels and woodsy-like prints. Enjoy your trip - Alaska is beautiful this time of year.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:00 PM

Sounds great. I haven't picked up my quilt sampler magazine yet. Husband keeps reminding me we have to get everything home. Lol
Terry
Old 05-22-2014, 05:09 PM

I've bought lots of fabric on our last two Alaskan cruises and keep the list of quilt shops on my phone!

Ketchikan - Silver Thimble:
This is a very small port and should be easy to find this building near the Lumberjack Show. The building is Salmon Landing. There are at least a dozen quilts on display from the 2nd floor landing where the quilt shop is. It's kind of small, but they do have lots of beautiful fabric.

Sitka - Abbys Reflection Quiltworks - 231 Lincoln St.
This quilt shop is located in downtown Sitka and is pretty big. There is free public wi-fi in Sitka so your hubby can sit out front and check email on his iPad while you shop. There are several nice shops in downtown Sitka. They also sell a locally designed fabric with pictures from Sitka. If you go here, be sure to check out Castle Hill nearby. That's where the first US flag was raised in Alaska.

Skagway - Changing Threads - 370 Third Street
Very small shop, but lots of nice fabrics. Here's a link to their website if you want to check out what they offer. http://www.changingthreads.com/ Skagway is a very small town that is easy to walk around and find this shop.

Kodiak - Flying Geese Fabric and Quilts - 202 Center St - Suite 320
Truth be told, I have several pieces of fabric from this store, but I've not been inside it yet. I wasn't feeling well the day we arrived in Kodiak and stayed on the ship. My wonderful hubby is a runner, and had asked if I'd be ok with him going for a run. Sure, no problem. Since we had been taking pictures of all of the "Welcome to ....." signs in each port, I asked if he would take my camera on his run and take a picture. He was happy to take the camera. Then I asked which direction he was going to run and told him there was a quilt shop there. You know you've got a keeper when he's willing to go on a run and take the camera for pictures and stop in a quilt shop and pick up a few yards of fabric before running back to the ship!

Juneau - Changing Tides - 175 S Franklin St - Suite 203
This shop is on the 2nd floor of a building at the far end of the downtown strip of shops. There is a Post office very close to them. Lots of beautiful fabric to choose from.

Anchorage - The Quilted Raven - 650 W 4th Ave
If you are only in the downtown area, this is a nice little shop. My hubby was in Anchorage a year ago on business and also two weeks ago. There is a really big Shop called The Quilt Tree. http://www.quiltree.com/ According to their website, they carry over 5,000 bolts of fabric. My hubby bought several pieces of fabric there last year and again earlier this month. :-) I told you he was a keeper! After 34 years I've almost got him completely trained.

I only buy fabrics that represent Alaskan skies, landscape, animals, etc. Here is one of my favorites that are designed by an Alaskan native. http://www.changingthreads.com/produ...oducts_id/2552

Changing Threads has a ton of beautiful fabrics on their website and will ship directly to you. Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau all had post offices that were easy to get to. I took all of the fabrics I bought and shoved them as tight as I could into one of the large one price boxes at the post office to ship them home. That way I didn't have to worry about my suitcases being over-stuffed.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:17 PM

The Quilt Tree in Anchorage is fabulous! If you make it to Juneau, it's worth the trip out of town to the valley to go to Raintree Quilting. Beautiful shop,with lovely fabrics and lovelier people. And you can get lunch or coffee at Paradise Cafe, which is right across,the parking lot.

Last edited by Onetomatoplant; 05-22-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant View Post
The Quilt Tree in Anchorage is fabulous! If you make it to Juneau, it's worth the trip out of town to the valley to go to Raintree Quilting. Beautiful shop,with lovely fabrics and lovelier people. And you can get lunch or coffee at Paradise Cafe, which is right across,the parking lot.
I told my husband that The Quilt Tree would get more business if they showed those 5,000 bolts of fabric on their website. I kept using my phone to take pictures of my computer screen from the Changing Threads site and texting them to him telling him the designer or name of fabric so that he could show it to the lady who was helping him. He spends at least $100+ every time he goes there.

Since we've been to Juneau several times, we like to rent a car to explore other areas. I'll have to look for the other Quilt Shop next time we're there.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:17 PM

I got back last night from an Alaskan
cruise. I got to shop at the Silver Thimble
They have a good selection of fabric,
especially Alaskan fabric and wildlife
panels. They do have recut kits with
Alaskan fabrics