Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Alaska shops

Alaska shops

Just finished a wonderful cruise in Alaska. Found 4 quilt stores while I was there!!!
    Living at the Foothills of the Smoky Mountains

I would almost wager that they are the same wonderful shops I found when we did an Alaska cruise for our 50th anniversary two years ago. They were great and the people in the shops so warm and friendly to all the tourists-like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanaquilter12 View Post
    Just finished a wonderful cruise in Alaska. Found 4 quilt stores while I was there!!!
    We also recently (6/21st) returned from an Alaska trip. Yes wonderful quilt shops and owners of these shop...I just cut up a special fq for a project yesterday. Also picked up three Barbara Lavllee small panels to design a wall hanging for my studio. Love her whimsical characters.

Judy in Phx, AZ

There's a great quilt shop in downtown Anchorage. A lot of Alaskan fabrics. Can't remember the name right now altho if anyone's interested I'll find out. GREAT SHOP!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judy363905 View Post
    We also recently (6/21st) returned from an Alaska trip. Yes wonderful quilt shops and owners of these shop...I just cut up a special fq for a project yesterday. Also picked up three Barbara Lavllee small panels to design a wall hanging for my studio. Love her whimsical characters.

Judy in Phx, AZ
    The Lavlee art is an awesome celebration of Alaskan life. Her art is refreshing. You're going to have fun making a wall hanging with those panels.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

My DH and I are taking our first cruise in September and we are going to Alaska! We are taking my younger sister with us too. But I am excited at the prospect of quilt shops there!
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Blog Entries

Leaving for Alaska in Aug

Quote Originally Posted by Nanaquilter12 View Post
    Taking a cruise with 6 gal friends ..... how did you find the shops? I am the only quilter in my group but I really want to go to some stores.
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Taking a cruise with 6 gal friends ..... how did you find the shops? I am the only quilter in my group but I really want to go to some stores.
    The smaller cities where the quilt shops are -- Ketchikan, Juneau and Kodak and the shoe are close to the middle of the town not far from where the ships dock. I did not get off in Anchorage due to the longer walk to the city and I had been there before) The sales people are great and anxious to accomadate your needs. Have a fun trip
    It should be warm there when you go

Judy in Phx -- where was 107 degrees today.

Quote Originally Posted by judy363905 View Post
    The smaller cities where the quilt shops are -- Ketchikan, Juneau and Kodak and the shoe are close to the middle of the town not far from where the ships dock. I did not get off in Anchorage due to the longer walk to the city and I had been there before) The sales people are great and anxious to accomadate your needs. Have a fun trip
    It should be warm there when you go

Judy in Phx -- where was 107 degrees today.

Opps in Kodiak there is a shuttle bus that meets passengers at the dock to take you to the city. Just thought maybe there is one in Anchorage too you can check on that...also people are handing out city maps -- you will not have any trouble finding shops.

Just got back! Our cruise line had a scrap book listing various shops, including quilt shops. (Not the one where they ask you to go in and claim a charm!) We found a shop in every town and, I'm afraid we bought something in each one!
    "Finish each day and be done with it ..... Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well and serenely."

I went on a cruise to Alaska and there was a quilt shop in every port. I came home with a small duffle bag full of fabric and even had some sent home. It was great

I was there 2 years ago and I too found several shops; it's the first thing I looked for in each of our stops. Brought back lots of fabric and kits. My luggage was over poundage! lol

At Mt. McKinley, take a short shuttle bus to Talkeetna. Cute little shop. Also Skagway has a shop. Enjoyed all of them.

I googled them before I left. They are within walking distance of the ports except for Talkeetna, but they run a bus for that small stop.