Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
All young quilters out there... >

All young quilters out there...

All young quilters out there...

Old 06-01-2012, 04:40 AM

I started sewing when i was 7, started quilting when I was 30, 51 now - is that old?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:41 AM

My friends grand daughter is 14 and they quilt together...in fact they are going on a quilt quest this weekend....as for myself, I am 62...very active and in fact i still compete in dirt track racing...so i guess i'm a on the go, race car drivin quilter !!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:42 AM

Wow! This fellow needs to be brought into this century!!!! IMHO. Folks of all ages are doing all sorts of things. Doesn't he watch the news?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:51 AM

My daughter jusst turned 30 and is quilting. She has fallen in love with this craft. I also enjoy having her quilt with me. It gives us so much time to visit as we sew
Old 06-01-2012, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

So true! I have 14 children.

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
One of the things that maybe we all need to realize is that we NEED to take time for ourselves. Too many of us end up running on empty and feeling cranky and resentful because we are constantly giving and sacrificing for our families, and putting ourselves last. I finally realized that I function better and can serve my family better when I take better care of myself. That includes occasionally telling my husband that I need some time for myself to just sit and sew. He has quickly learned to keep the kids occupied, and I come back an hour later in a much better mood.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:59 AM

My former LQS has kid's camps during the summer for boys and girls, ages 8-14. I started at 47.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:01 AM

I'm 45 and my granddaughter is 4. I've been sewing since I was 11 and quilting for only about a year. Aaliyah loves to help me! I won't let her sew by herself yet but that day is coming faster than I thought it would. I'm amazed at how fast she is catching on and the smile on her face when we finish a project is priceless!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 05:02 AM

my 12 yr old ggrandaughter just finished her 2nd quilt. It is reg size the first was a lap quilt. Her brother 6 has made to quilts for his stuffed animals. They both love to sew. The granddaughter even got her own machine for Christmas
Old 06-01-2012, 05:04 AM

I'm 56 been sewing since I was 12. Tell him there are a lot of guy quilters in my Guild and Bee. Maybe he can learn
Old 06-01-2012, 05:05 AM

I couldn't agree more. I have always put myself first, from the moment I became a wife. I have a supportive husband who is always there to take the kids for the day so I can go to my monthly quilting day or classes.
Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
One of the things that maybe we all need to realize is that we NEED to take time for ourselves. Too many of us end up running on empty and feeling cranky and resentful because we are constantly giving and sacrificing for our families, and putting ourselves last. I finally realized that I function better and can serve my family better when I take better care of myself. That includes occasionally telling my husband that I need some time for myself to just sit and sew. He has quickly learned to keep the kids occupied, and I come back an hour later in a much better mood.