Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Allergy to Pets interfering with volunteer longarming >

Allergy to Pets interfering with volunteer longarming

Allergy to Pets interfering with volunteer longarming

Old 05-01-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Why not make life simpler for yourself and only work on quilts that you have made yourself?

That way, you will know what is in them and what the fabrics have been exposed to.

You have mentioned being allergic to many things - so it just does not seem feasible to get yourself sick working on "who knows what"?

I do think the allergy factor of the final recipients should also be a concern.
I'm about to this conclusion. I got the longarm for donation work. I planned to be standing at the quilter when I was 80 working on quilts for charity. I couldn't justify buying one for the few quilts I make. But it hasn't turned out the way I had hoped. Not much can be done about that. Maybe I should just sell it.

I agree about the final recipient. I'm not seeing any concern about that. I'm pretty sure all the donation quilts aren't being washed before being awarded. Some of the vets are already sick. They don't need to add to it.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

As far as selling your long-arm -

If it is already paid for and you enjoy using it - make more quilts and get more use out of it! :-)

Or use it for a coatrack - place to put stuff until you get around to putting it where it should go. :-)

I see no reason to feel guilty about using something just for one's own purposes -
Old 05-01-2017, 11:18 AM

This will probably sound extreme but have you considered allergy shots. I know people who have major allergies to animals and they get shots for it. It would allow you to continue your work with less hassle but it is a monthly injection. Many people have pets probably more so than dont so it might be hard to truly get tops of pet owners that won't affect you. Removing hair is easier than removing dander as dander is in the air and you can't see it
Old 05-01-2017, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sval View Post
I planned to be standing at the quilter when I was 80 working on quilts for charity.
Wow, you must be in exceptional physical shape and/or have robotics.

I can't imagine being physically able to longarm quilts in my 80's. At least not the volume that most charities would create.

Longarming takes a physical toll.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:09 PM

Nope. No robotics. The longarmer for one of the groups here is 79 and still going strong for at least a couple hours a day.
I panto.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:30 PM
Banned

I'm 70. I don't longarm, but I still stack hay and carry 50# sacks of feed. Being old doesn't have to make you feeble.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​If breathing in the hair and dander are a problem, how about getting a really good mask like the auto paint techs use?
Good idea! Those masks filter out paint fumes so they would definitely filter out pet dander.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

Paper masks keep particulates out but not fumes. I wouldn't wear one in my own home to do volunteer work.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:44 PM

Me either.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

I don't gift quilts that didn't have a run through the washer first. With the formaldehyde and who-knows-what chemicals are in fabric these days, it is my decision to work with unwashed fabric because that only affects me, but I would not give that away in unwashed condition. Same goes for pet hair.