Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Allergy to Pets interfering with volunteer longarming >

Allergy to Pets interfering with volunteer longarming

Allergy to Pets interfering with volunteer longarming

Old 05-01-2017, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Paper masks keep particulates out but not fumes. I wouldn't wear one in my own home to do volunteer work.
Me neither!!
... even if it did work, it would kind of take the fun and enjoyment out of the process for me.
So No Way, Jose!
Old 05-01-2017, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Vinegar acts as a static remover and the lint trap should collect the hair. Vinegar helps to release the pet dander and loosen the hair from the fabric fibers. My little Brutus is very hairy. I wash his bedding and bath towels with vinegar. I also wash his kennel down with vinegar. I use the white vinegar. I agree with many of the others and would only accept pet free quilt tops. If it's in the tops and they send batting, it'll be in that and eventually with using your machine, it may cause problems. I'm not saying it will but it just may.
Originally Posted by sval View Post
How do you wash a top without it fraying all the seams? I tried that once early on and it came out a mess. A few seams came undone because the cloth frayed so much.

I've actually tried a mask since I have fragrance allergies as well. But having a mask on makes a person's glasses fog up.

So that's when I started hanging them out on the line for the day. The pet hair doesn't come off.

Does vinegar in the dryer actually work? And then what happens to all the pet hair? Does it end up on my clean clothes?

My DH offered to lint roller the quilts for me. He's a real keeper. But after starting one and going through practically a whole roll, he rescinded his offer. He said it was too time consuming, costly and just gross. And he's not an easily grossed out kind of guy.

On the same note: a quilt hanging at a show yesterday had visible pet hair on it. Mind you it had black sashing. But wouldn't a person clean it before entering it in a show?
Old 05-01-2017, 02:34 PM

I haven't looked for someone to long arm my quilts for this exact reason. I'd would love to send a top out to be quilted but can't take the chance of it coming back with something clinging to it that would send me into a migraine or asthma attack. I can't tolerate perfume, scented candles, soaps, body products, laundry detergents, carpet fresh, animal dander and the list goes on. If you can't take in as many quilts you could let your guild know that you have an organic, pet free, smell free home and will quilt for others to make a little money to ease the guilt of having the long arm.
I was going to purchase a long arm from a lady who decided to close her business. We drove 2 hours and when DH walked thru the door of her shop he immediately stopped and shoved me backwards. I could smell fragrance when DH opened the door and it reeked to high heaven. I peeked through the window and saw she had Glade Air Freshener's sitting all around the room. I called the lady from the parking lot and explained why I couldn't come in and look at the set up.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:34 PM

Hello, I take antihistamines pills which work really well for my allergies to dust, and animal dander. I get the sinus, eyes, throat, breathing issues. I also work around my triggers so wear a NIOSH mask. These masks filter out particles to a very high degree and they have to be tested to say they are NIOSH. Do a internet search there are many different brands and styles, because everyone's face is different and getting the right fit is critical to the mask working. You need to fit the top of the mask to the bridge of your nose then your glasses sit on top. No matter how great it say's it filters is useless if the mask doesn't fit, or if its is uncomfortable and unfiltered air leaks in around gaps. It also takes getting used to wearing it so you need to persevere for a bit. It can be a bit of trial and error to find the right mask and over the counter meds but this combination works for me. This may help you when you receive the tops to work with them to remove the pet hair/dander. I think the dryer with steam setting works for removing the fur I would not dry my own clothes with anything covered in fur. There are the silicon, and velvet lint brushes as well instead of tape. My last suggestion would be to add a air cleaner to the room you LA in as an extra bit of help, one that has a hepa filter. This is all an expense to you and can never be 100% dander free so limiting yourself to pet free may be an easier option.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by grammasharon View Post
I have severe allergies to cats. So much so that even giving someone a hug after they have played with or have a cat in their home can cause a severe reaction. I totally understand your issue and my suggestion would be to only take quilts from those who do not own a pet. Those who have allergies understand the need to stay away from things that will cause a reaction.
We sometimes forget how severe allergies can be! My DH is severely allergic to cats. My brother is handicapped and has two cats. I visited him today, and as I left, one of the cats scooted out. I had to run after him, picked him up and brought him inside. Maybe 10-15 seconds of contact. Forgot about it until I got home and DH starts reacting. My wool jacket is in a plastic bag, waiting to go to the cleaners! When I visit I use a special plastic chair to sit on to avoid hair transfer.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:41 PM

You are volunteering your time to,do the quilting. You should not have to try to clean the tops brought to you. You are just going to have to tell the person who organizes the volunteer work that you can't work on things from pet households. You should.not feel,bad about it. The person who brings you something with ani,al hair and dander is the one who should feel,bad. Loose hairs on a top get quilted in and don't go away with washing.

I quilt for others, and I don't let my cats in my sewing room. There are too many people sensitive to pet dander.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:39 PM

Has anyone tried zipping the top into a large lingerie bag, or maybe a pillowcase with a zipper, and washing it? I'm absolutely NOT thinking that the longarm quilter should have to do this, I'm just curious if it would actually work.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Has anyone tried zipping the top into a large lingerie bag, or maybe a pillowcase with a zipper, and washing it? I'm absolutely NOT thinking that the longarm quilter should have to do this, I'm just curious if it would actually work.
With it being in a bag of any sort, it would be highly likely that the hair would get washed, and stay right there!
So the problem would not be solved.

Then ... there is the issue of how the flimsy would make out?
Plus of course, the drying and pressing to follow.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:39 PM

I'm curious, if you used a serger to finish the edges of the top before it was quilted and then washed it, would the hair and dander be gone and the top not fraying at the edges? Never tried it so I don't know.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
With it being in a bag of any sort, it would be highly likely that the hair would get washed, and stay right there!
Okay, but my understanding, from what my friends and acquaintances say about pet allergies, is that most people are allergic to the dander, not the hair. So washing doesn't remove the dander?