Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Alternative patterns for quilts for Vets? >

Alternative patterns for quilts for Vets?

Alternative patterns for quilts for Vets?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:02 AM

Some ladies and I made some "Quilt of Valor" quilts, none of the fabrics was Red, White or Blue. They turned out lovely and the labels on the back let our soldier's know we were proud of his/her service to our country.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine
I love the idea of making quilts for returning vets.

But all of the ones I've seen have a patriotic theme. And in fact, it seems like the organizations that coordinate quilt donations to vets require such themes that usually include red, white and blue and stars.

I can't help but wonder if there are some returning vets who would prefer NOT to be reminded of their time over there, and would appreciate something entirely different.

What have you made for a returning vet that is of a non-patriotic theme? And can anyone recommend a quilt-donation-coordinating organization that doesn't require a particular theme?
I belong to a local group that is making quilts for hometown heroes. Many of the quilts have been red, white and blue, but others have been brown, green, etc. The men and women get to pick from the quilts that are available and several have wanted quilts other than the red, white and blue.

My daughter, who is a breast cancer survivor of more than 10 years, does not want a pink ribbon quilt. She does not want a constant visual reminder of either diagnosis or treatment.

To each his own, but I think it is absolutely true that many veterans, particularly veterans of the wars in the Middle East, are not enthusiastic about red, white and blue quilts froggyintexs
Old 09-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Quilts of Valor Foundation
attn: Nancy Kemp
6551 Malakoff Tx 75148
903 489-0026 or [email protected]

Flood her with your unquilted tops, flowers and all, just for that very reason. She told me this personally at the Tyler Tx. Quilt show last fall. She said not only the
12 1/2 in. RWB blocks, but my unwanted unquilted tops were welcome too. Shoot an email to her or call her, she is a wonderful woman.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:54 PM

Our group (I belong to 2 of them) always does them in the traditional colors. I never thought of doing them in another color but I like the idea a lot. thanks for passing that on.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:33 PM

When QOV started, the didnt want RWB quilts, but the vets did, so it was changed to that. not all QOV's are RWB. make what you want.. they are still needed and loved.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:28 PM

I made my son a black/white/red quilt when he returned. He loved it.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:34 PM

It seems there are enough scenic fabrics to make a pictorial patriotic quilt: think of America the Beautiful and compose a quilt center with 'spacious skies', 'amber waves of grain', 'purple mountain majesties' and farms/orchards for 'fruited plain'. There are many more images in this song, 'brotherhood', 'freedom,' 'alabaster cities.' Quotes from the song by applique or embroidery could be a border. Just brain-storming.

http://www.scoutsongs.com/lyrics/ame...beautiful.html
This is a link to the complete song.

Nature and/or hunting themes may be perfect for some, cars and trucks for others. Sports of all kinds. Western themes, traveling, movies, jazz, total abstractions.....holidays thru the year, seasons, trees, dogs......? Innocent pin-ups.....? Food...
Drinks.....
Old 09-16-2011, 03:54 PM

I quilt for Soldier's Angels. The quilts go to VA hospitals and do not require any certain pattern or color.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:29 PM

I know that a guild I used to belong to went to the Vets Hospital and did not have enough quilts (red,white, blue) to go around. One man said he would love to have a quilt and a lady said she had a pink one in the car. Did he want it ? He grabbed that quilt and held on for dear life.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
I know that a guild I used to belong to went to the Vets Hospital and did not have enough quilts (red,white, blue) to go around. One man said he would love to have a quilt and a lady said she had a pink one in the car. Did he want it ? He grabbed that quilt and held on for dear life.
That would definitly have made me cry.