Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Alzheimer fidget mats >

Alzheimer fidget mats

Alzheimer fidget mats

Old 05-19-2014, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by w1613s View Post
Please, are there any particular colors to use in one of these blankets? Some to avoid? Things to twiddle that seem to be more successful than others? Twiddle things to avoid like, maybe, buttons? Or, if you use them (like buttons), there are more secure ways to attach them? Maybe dental floss?

I made a very simple, but large-ish, one of these for my aunt: "furry fabric" with a denim fabric frame that had very small plastic nubs on it. She petted it constantly. The nubby denim frame was great until her daughter-in-law ironed it. No more nubs. They melted! Mental note to self: plastic nubs on cotton fabrics, when ironed at high heat, melt. So soon old, ....

Thanks for the help. i am going to mention this thread at our guild meeting.

Pat
I heard that any kind of black colored fabric are not so good, some say that too many different colors will disturb some patients, but there is such a wide range of preferences and antipathy that you can't sew one blanket for all patients! Each will take that he or she likes! I once made a blanket with a cat panell and some other cat fabrics and one woman spontaneously said: I hate cats!!! She didn't say very much any longer so that this reaction was great!!
Buttons must be fastened very very tight, I use strong untearable yarn! It's the main thing to think of while sewing: sew it on with zig-zag two or three times forward and back again!!
And you can use all materials which are washable, even plastic stripes or silk or plush...
And you can make little bags with pieces of the wrapping of chips inside: there will be a sizzling noise when they touch the little bag! Or you can put some buttons or cherry stones into such little bags to feel what is inside!
Old 05-25-2014, 09:12 AM

Thank you all so much. I have never seen these before. My mother was in a nursing home for 9 years, wish I would have known about these while she was still alive.

Thanks again
Bev
Old 01-17-2016, 06:31 AM

I just found this thread. I have not been online in a very long time. But I made a fidget quilt because a really good blogger shared her quilts and I knew I wanted to make one for a friend. I still do not have it finished but the site where all of the patterns or ideas are is this:
http://www.with-heart-and-hands.com/...lzheimers.html
Michele has one of my favorite blogs so I share her free ideas because of her generosity to me. she make Fidget quilts for Alzheimers, Dementia and for people with autism. I think this is a lovely idea so I am happy to see more people making them. My niece is helping me post this. I am lucky I can still sew without help LOL This gal also show childrens and babys fidget quilts with tags and she shows aprons and mats. I will just make the tiny quilt and be happy!
Old 01-17-2016, 10:27 AM

I've never heard of these, but they are awesome. I'm checking out the links provided.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:25 AM

I make my fidget mats about the size of a large placemat, reason being that it fits across their lap easily. (14 x 20).
This measurement is not written in stone but I have found that this is a good size. I put batting on the back of the front--this can be scraps --and lightly quilt that. when done, I pin the back piece right sides together, leaving appox 6 inches unsewn for turning. When turned, topstitch around edge. Sometimes, I do another topstitch 1/4 " from the first.
Then comes the fun. Small zippers with a ribbon pull, squares, triangles or circles of different fabrics(minky, silky stuff-usually double, fleece, suede). I have a bag of squeakers supposed to be for dog toys. That takes a 4 inch square which I stitch down--did I mention zig-zag- and stuff the squeaker in before the last edge is sewn. The county home that I donate the mats to seem to like them. By the way, the asked not to use buttons since some guests can tear them off and swallow them no matter how strongly they're sewn on. I found a roll of white organza at AC Moore and use squares of that, press under the edges, and before the last seam, pour in some sequins. Dollar store has them.
Lengths of different colored ribbons(no wire edges), folded in half, maybe the ends slipped under some the squares, sort of like a mini taggie. Pararie points work well also. Please note that these mats are washed in heavy duty machines and hot water and usually don't last more than six months. I have pics on my I-Pad but I don't know how to post them. Pics are worth a thousand words. Everyone, thank you for making these mats.
eri
Old 01-17-2016, 11:27 AM

Looking for ideas go to pinterest and google fidget - gives you options and each section has lots of ideas. I'm planning one with BRIGHT BOLD COLORS for a lady I helped before she went into a memory care unit. Bright bold colors and plenty of bling is her preference when getting dressed so I'm thinking textured squares or flaps and am perusing the pictures looking for ideas how to bling them up.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:27 AM

I added a gardening glove to one I made....attached it at the wrist to the edge of the mat so the user could put his hand in and out of it and also feel the things sewn on the mat with it. Adding non rusting weighted metal washes inside each grid of the quilting pattern can give the mat some weight so it sits more firmly on the residents lap and also something else to feel through the layers of fabric. Sew shoe laces for "doing up and undoing". A row of shower curtain rings sewn on add a textural and fiddle component as does zippers.

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 01-17-2016 at 11:30 AM.