Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I "less than"? >

Am I "less than"?

Am I "less than"?

Old 05-15-2016, 11:12 AM

Pantograms are so incredibly pretty! Lots of room for various techniques.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:35 AM

Thanks for everyone's kind words of encouragement! I guess the "quilting angel" heard us all. I was asked if I could quilt a QOV - string quilt. Since the pattern would not really show custom quilting, they thought pantograph would work. So, I'll do and we'll show how wonderful it will look. Thanks to everyone for good "mojo"!
Old 05-15-2016, 02:43 PM

This is also said with LOVE. Why do you care what others think? If YOU are happy with your panto quilting, who else cares? As for QOV - & I've made quite a few- do you REALLY think the recipients care that you used a panto & not free hand? I think they WAY more appreciate that someone took the time to acknowledge their service to our country. Give yourself a break. Try free motion if you want, but quilt ON! Keep on quilting & tell the FM police to go to HE double hockey sticks
Old 05-15-2016, 02:48 PM

That is a beautiful quilt
Old 05-16-2016, 09:24 AM

Thumbs up Less than?

I'm getting this read late (by a couple days) so you may have already been informed of:

Back around 1996 when I got my first quilt frame that was designed to be used with a domestic machine, all the quilt shows I went to looked down their noses at ANY machine quilted quilt; they were 'accepted' but 'not really' quilts because they weren't hand quilted. A few years before that, the difference between hand piecing and machine piecing was met with the same attitude. Times change. I've heard some people call a quilt made from a panel "just a comforter" and not really a quilt. Some still have the same attitude about tied quilts that 'really aren't quilted, their just tied'.

So, foo on them. If I call it a quilt, it's a quilt. There's nothing wrong with your work or your skill level. What's RIGHT about your work and your skill level is what it does FOR you, and any other good that comes from it.

Chin up gal. We're on your side.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:46 AM

Nope, you're not less than. We're all free to do what we love best. I've wondered if I'm less than because I only do free motion stippling with my mid arm. The longarmer I went to hates stippling! But using her computer driven huge longarmer almost felt like cheating since I mostly just watched it do all the work....

Theyre all good.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:01 AM

What is pantogram/pantograph? And what is a flimsy? I'm new too, lol. And I usually quilt on my dsm, only had one quilted by a longarmer. I tried fmq and it's NOT for me! I consider myself a 'quilter', but I understand your question completely. I love looking at intricate quilting details and sometimes feel so amateur, but I'm happy with my quilts and that's what matters. :-) Be proud of what you do.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:32 AM

You my friend are absolutely a QUILTER!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2016, 01:03 PM

You are whomever you believe yourself to be. You are awesome!!
Naysayers will say nay about many things. I embroider on my quilts, and use only my machines to do all the work as my hands will not let me handsew or embroider anything. I am a skilled quilter, a seamstress, a designer, an artist, an engineer, a laundress, a mid arm machine panto user ( I trace designs and sew over them--yippee for me), a fabric collector, I even color in the quilting coloring books, clean my own machines, and tidy up after myself. I am professional at whatever I do in my world. No matter how I do it. So that makes me an advanced professional quilter too. You go girl!
Old 05-16-2016, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by kellyer21 View Post
What is pantogram/pantograph? And what is a flimsy? I'm new too, lol. And I usually quilt on my dsm, only had one quilted by a longarmer. I tried fmq and it's NOT for me! I consider myself a 'quilter', but I understand your question completely. I love looking at intricate quilting details and sometimes feel so amateur, but I'm happy with my quilts and that's what matters. :-) Be proud of what you do.
Great questions! We sometime forget we have such a specialized lingo for quilting! Flimsy is just another, maybe little old fashion (but I love the descriptor) of an unquilted top. Pantographs or pantos are a paper printed, or on a computer guided long arm they are digitalized and downloaded into the computer, design that the quilter traces. On long arm quilt machines, there is usually a laser light or a stylus that is used to "trace" around the design while the machine sews. This usually means working at the backside of the machine which on most machines means not being able to see the needle working as easily. some people think that makes the quilting easier as the quilter is not creating the design--but by not being able to see the need working, the quilter actually has to be sure to have the quilt top set up well, know how to "mesh" the designs so that they integrate into a whole design and generally quilt by sense of touch and sound since they stand at the back.
So they are certainly NOT less than...!