Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I "less than"? >

Am I "less than"?

Am I "less than"?

Old 05-16-2016, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Great questions! We sometime forget we have such a specialized lingo for quilting! Flimsy is just another, maybe little old fashion (but I love the descriptor) of an unquilted top. Pantographs or pantos are a paper printed, or on a computer guided long arm they are digitalized and downloaded into the computer, design that the quilter traces. On long arm quilt machines, there is usually a laser light or a stylus that is used to "trace" around the design while the machine sews. This usually means working at the backside of the machine which on most machines means not being able to see the needle working as easily. some people think that makes the quilting easier as the quilter is not creating the design--but by not being able to see the need working, the quilter actually has to be sure to have the quilt top set up well, know how to "mesh" the designs so that they integrate into a whole design and generally quilt by sense of touch and sound since they stand at the back.
So they are certainly NOT less than...!
Good answers. Absolutely agree that they are definitely not less than.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:25 AM

I just finished my first pantograph on a baby quilt. It was a pattern that came with my machine. Love love love it!! I have only done meandering previously and this is next step in progressing. Maybe I'll never do anything else and that's OK too cause I really love this! Just keep on doing what U enjoy and you'll be fine! Bless U for your giving spirit!
Old 10-15-2016, 07:58 PM

it takes skill to do the pantographs also. Just like coloring within the lines it took practice. Why would using pantographs make you less a quilter if that was so how about the computer machines
Old 10-15-2016, 08:38 PM

Absolutely not. BE PROUD OF YOUR WORK, no matter how you finish them. My friend has me use them when I rent her machine to finish my quilts. THEY ARE NOT EASY to follow, in my humble opinion. I am teaching myself to quilt more of my own stuff on my domestic machine, but even following the lines I mark "is challenging". FMQ is just something that needs tons of practice. I practiced on quilt kits from my guild. That way I didn't have to make some just to learn. I did ok and no one has complained. Your LA machine is serving it's purpose. you're getting quilts from start to finish, which is the goal.
YOU ARE A QUILTER... period. Wish you lived close to me as I'm a QOV quilter and we need another LA gal in our area.
I'm north of Los Angeles.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:51 AM

What ever you love to do is a good thing. I do think we get judged about our quilting skills and it is hard not to take it personally. I wish I could do any kind of machine quilting because I am limited with my hand quilting ability and when I hand quilt my stitches are not always the same size and sometimes they turn so I do not want to put my quilts in a show. It is just the way it is. We as quilters and people have to be strong to take others disapproval.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:29 AM

Never think of yourself as "less than". You are giving your time and effort to make quilts for gifts and charity. Those folks that stated this to you are probably just jealous because they don't have a machine like yours or the ambition to do what you do. I also have an Innova machine and I don't think myself good enough quilter to hire myself out to others but I enjoy myself with what I can do and continue on. I have robotics on my machine so does that make me "less than" because I can't do fancy freemotion? Not in the less in my mind. If those out there do not care for my quilting....so be it. I have neighbors that have asked me to robotically quilt for them and I occasionally do it for them as I get stressed out in case something goes wrong. I just picked up a ruler foot for my machine at the latest quilt show as I wanted to try my hand at ruler work which I now find from reading can be harder to do than freemotion. Still I want to try to improve what I can do between robotic quilting and a little ruler work to fill in those dead spaces that are too hard to do with the robotics.

Be proud of yourself that you give your time, talent and love so others can enjoy having a quilt.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:11 AM

Your group is catering to their own show-off wants. I should think the recipient of any such quilt made with love would cherish the quilt and never notice the actual quilting.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Okay this is said with love..... <3

Why do you care what others think? People who quilt for charities have big hearts and can't possibly be "less than". If you feel unappreciated and looked-down on, maybe take your lovely self to another charity that will appreciate your work.

If you want to practice free motion, get some inexpensive muslin, or use scraps or old sheets, and make quilts for your local Humane Society. Dogs don't care what the quilting looks like.

As long as YOU'RE happy with your quilting skills, that's all that matters, IMHO.
I totally agree. If a charity is that picky and doesn't like the way you quilt your quilts, it's time to find another charity. What they think isn't really important anyway. What's important is how you feel about your quilts and quilting.

If you want to learn free motion use some orphan blocks or just cheap fabric, sandwich it up and practice. If you dont' want to learn it, that's fine, too. There are lots of people out there that would love to have a handmade quilt and don't care how it's quilted. I've given up and keeping quilt (or sewing or anything else) snobs happy. They seem to live to look down on others work. I don't need that in my life.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:40 AM

thanks everyone for your words on inspiration. I finished the quilt and it has been given to the Quilts of Valor recipient. I was sent a picture, but it's not on my computer anymore. But, from the looks of his smile....he was thrilled. So, I have no worries anymore. Thanks again and if you ever run out of quilts to make for charity, please consider joining Quilts of Valor! Everyone have a great sewing experience!
Old 10-16-2016, 11:59 AM

This is your hobby, don't let jerks ruin your hobby, do whatever brings you peace and don't worry about losers judging you.