Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I a meanie? >

Am I a meanie?

Am I a meanie?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 AM

I agree, do not feel guilty for standing by your own values. Another one that gets me are family members that want a gifted quilt, but want "this pattern, and these colors, and this size" What happened to the "gift" in this process?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 AM

Hi quilting -nannie.You are quite right to refuse, ask her 'Hey you paid thousands of dollars for your car, will you give me a lift now and then ! Same for her house,can I come and stay for the weekend? Oh dear I think I turning into a grumpy old lady, but hey, time is getting short. These same people often tell you when they look at the quilts you make,'Oh I just wouldn't have the patience to do that------ not to mention the skill. Grrrr. x
Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 AM

How rude! I would just turn around and walk away...for fear that what would come out of my mouth would be scathing!

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
I have been asked a couple times to make quilts for people. After doing a table runner for a lady I have decided I don't want to"have" to make something for someone. One lady said "you paid thousands of dollars for that machine
and you can't make me a baby quilt for my great grandaughter?" Should I feel so guilty for saying no?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:50 AM

You were the one who paid for the machine, not her. Why should she get the quilts?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:06 AM

My typical response to this (if it's not my husband) is, "I'd be happy to help you learn how to do it." I don't need another project to bog me down, but I do enjoy showing other people how to do things. I find this helps me not feel guilty too, because I feel I've offered a fair compromise.

And the few times they've taken me up on the offer, we've had fun, and they've come out with a better understanding of how much time and effort it takes afterwards.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 AM

No, you are not a sewing business. You should only do this if you want to, not because someone demands it, especially if they are not a family member. It's your machine, your time, and definitely your choice of whom to make a quilt for. Enjoy your machine and ignore these rude people.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 AM

Bottom line is that you are not required to make anything for anyone, period. Mentioning what she thinks the machine cost is just tacky. I've had people ask me to make things for them in the past. It is a true burden when your heart isn't in it. It is up to you to do with your time as you choose. I just say I don't sew for others (or quilt for others). End of story. I think she needed an Ann Landers response - a silent stare, a long silent stare.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Absolutely, positively NO GUILT. If they are willing to pay "X" amount for a quilt, maybe, but just because you hae spent all this money on a LAQ, that doesn't mean that you will make quilts for free. Maybe if they want to buy the fabric, batting, backing and fabric, maybe at a cost of $X". People who do not quilt have no concept of the amount of time and effort goes into the making of even a baby quilt. You make one of a kind, unique quilts, and unless you want to "gift" that person a quilt, say NO or say you will do it for pay, but not free. NO GUILT
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 AM

Figure out what you'd have to pay for fabric, thread, batting and your time. Look her dead square in the eye and say, I'd be happy to make one for you, this is what it will cost.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by kateyb View Post
I make baby quilts for family. I usually make them about 40" x 54". (They can then be used for a few more years.) If you figure in binding etc that is a minimum of 4 yards of fabric, plus batting, plus time. If someone asked me to make one I would charge them a minimum of $60. If they buy the fabric etc. I would charge at least $30 for my time. Once people find out the cost it usually ends there.
The last baby quilt I made 42x54 COST me $60. for the fabric, thread and batting. $60. would not be worth my effort if I were to 'sell' it Are you sure you are charging enough?