Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I a meanie? >

Am I a meanie?

Am I a meanie?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 AM

If she helped you pay for the machine, then make the quilt.
If she did not pay any $ on it, then tell her "NO".
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 AM

Wow - the rudeness of people never ceases to amaze me. I'd tell her (if given the opportunity) that you'd be happy to do the baby quilt for $200 (make it high!)....the price of which is necessary as you have invested so much money in your equipment, it takes so much of your valuable time, AND fabric is expensive. When she reacts accordingly, I'd then say 'if you want one badly enough you can make it yourself - that's how I started out'.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:24 AM

Absolutely NOT! Don't ever fee guilty about saying no to someone. I get ask often to make something and I have learned to say no. I don't think people realize everything that goes into quilt making. I know I didn't until I made my first quilt. I do some things for close friends but never because they ask; only because I choose to. Please, do not feel bad.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

Absolutely NOT.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 AM

Default No, you are NOT a meanie !!

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
I have been asked a couple times to make quilts for people. After doing a table runner for a lady I have decided I don't want to"have" to make something for someone. One lady said "you paid thousands of dollars for that machine
and you can't make me a baby quilt for my great grandaughter?" Should I feel so guilty for saying no?
I make many items for people (family and close friends) I refuse to make quilts "on request" - I tell people I give my things away but "no one has enough money to buy them!!" I only quilt with my DSM. I tell people I will be glad to help them learn to make what they want but I won't make it for them. (Haven't lost any friends - yet - with this position.)
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 AM

You can always refer them to Etsy or some other Internet resource that sells handmade items of the kind she's hoping to get. It might be an eye-opener for them to see the prices.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 AM

I don't think you should feel bad at all.
I would love to be asked, because I love to do it, but you can bet your sweet patoot I would charge them accordingly.

I put time, effort, and 40 years of sewing and artisan skill into what I make, they damn well should pay for it. LOL

I think as women, we tend to be socially discouraged from valuing what it is that we do, and what we can accomplish.

If anyone ever asks you again to make them something, before that request occurs, ask yourself if you would do it for pay, and then, what do you think your time is worth?

Make no mistake, sewing in and of itself is a skill. And quilting is an art form. Consider your value.

I once was struck by the fact that in my generation, of my women friends, I am the ONLY one who knows how to sew. And I am a baby boomer. You'd think that more of our mothers, being Depression- and farm-raised, would have taught us this skill. And I can build, too. lol. And take apart and fix my sewing machine!

Best of luck to you. Be flattered, that someone asked you to make something, means they appreciate your talent. Leave it at that. YOU ARE AWESOME AND SOMEONE NOTICED!

Becky
lying in stitches on square at a time

Last edited by redhead184; 02-14-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:11 AM

Oh my gosh, that is the rudest thing I ever heard. I can't imagine your shock at her saying this. I'd feel like saying "I know you spent thousands of dollars on your car. Can I borrow it for a wk.?) It's the same thing to me.
I don't think you should feel obligated or like a "meanie" for saying no.

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
I have been asked a couple times to make quilts for people. After doing a table runner for a lady I have decided I don't want to"have" to make something for someone. One lady said "you paid thousands of dollars for that machine
and you can't make me a baby quilt for my great grandaughter?" Should I feel so guilty for saying no?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 AM

I no longer get asked to make things for others because I tell them they have to provide fabric, thread & pattern and pay for my time and then wait 6 mo because I've got lots of projects to finish first. Stops them in their tracks Yeah! this is my hobby for my pleasure and I make what I want when I want. Doesn't mean I don't sew for others, just means I choose the project. So please don't think you're a meanie because you are taking care of yourself. We need to support each other to not be taken advantage of or take away our love of sewing. Hang in there with your decision, I support you!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM

Absolutely do not be pressured into quilting for someone so rude. Never!