Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I a meanie? >

Am I a meanie?

Am I a meanie?

Old 02-14-2013, 03:48 AM

I don't make quilts "On Demand". I make them for pleasure. Giving one as a gift has to come from my heart. Then it means something to me and the receiver. Don't feel bad. Tell her to buy a machine of her own and she can quilt as often as she wants.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:51 AM

I totally agree. Last year I made a complete Disney character costume for a friend. I told her before we began choosing material and pattern the cost of my labor. She came to pick up her costume the night before her flight to WDW but 'forgot' her checkbook. She went off off to Disney, full costume in hand. When she came home, I was presented with a large Disney coffee mug. NO CHECK! I reminded her she still owes me the money for my labor. Acting so surprised she said.... "I can't afford that! I didn't know you wanted to be paid!! I thought you did it as a friend" Bull-patties! She was well aware - I will never make anything for anyone who asks me to - not ever again! It's not worth losing a friend over. l told her she could make payments to settle her debt - I'm still waiting!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:01 AM

Saying "No" gets easier the more you do it. You'll also feel less guilty the more you say "No." Before I was in nursing school I was a stay at home mom for many years. People expected A LOT of me. They were used to me always doing this or that for my children and family. Initially I felt very guilty for not attending parties or baking goodies. However, I got really good at saying "No" and felt better about it too. You will too. You spent all that money on a machine for you and to do what you want, not what others want you to do!!! Good luck, you will learn not to feel guilty and to not let others make you feel guilty. If nothing else, feel free to point out to them that it's NOT nice of them to try to make you feel guilty. It's very selfish of them actually. Tell them there are plenty others who will make that for them if they wish.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
I have been asked a couple times to make quilts for people. After doing a table runner for a lady I have decided I don't want to"have" to make something for someone. One lady said "you paid thousands of dollars for that machine
and you can't make me a baby quilt for my great grandaughter?" Should I feel so guilty for saying no?
Sounds to me like you are pretty smart. If you don't want to do it, then why should you? Your machine, your time. Maybe even your fabric ad pattern. You aren't running a quilting business. The machines are for your pleasure. I wouldn't feel guilty at all.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
Thanks everyone, for making me feel better about this! The funny thing is, this lady bakes pies for people and charges $14 a pie. Maybe we could trade; I could get pies for quilts! LOL! I don't know how she knew how much my machine was; when she asked about what kind of machine, I just told her an embroidery/sewing machine. I love making quilts, but don't want pressure. I do make them for family members, free of charge, filled with love! And I have given quilts to be auctioned for a scholarship fund. So I don't think I'm "too" stingy!
No, You're not "stingy", and this person (not a "lady") knows it, which is why she thinks she can bully you. Don't let her, and don't feel guilty at all. She's the one who should feel guilty, because she's the rude bully who behaved badly. But of course, she doesn't feel bad at all---she feels entitled! And while I think the suggestion from others to offer to teach someone (who wants a quilt made for them) how to quilt themselves is a great idea, I don't think it applies here. I would never offer to spend any time with this woman, because she will use every opportunity to bully you further and make your life miserable. Run, don't walk from this woman. Choose your friends and who you spend time with, and don't choose rude bullies. Good luck to you, and congratulations on having "a machine which cost thousands of dollars", lol! (Do you realize she also has a very wide jealous streak? Which probably fuels her rudeness....)
Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 AM

LOL, just have to add, when asked about making a purse ( I made them for my daughters at Christmas) for a relative/friend of the family, I just quoted her a price of $300. Crickets since!!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:21 AM

It's wasn't HER thousands you paid for the machine. Jeez - what nerve! I love to do quilts as a surprise, as I'm sure a lot of us do, but as soon as someone asks me ( and especially if someone was as rude as that GGM!), it really annoys me and I'm always "too busy" with other projects.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:25 AM

I already have a job. I don't want to ruin my creative outlet by turning it into more work. That doesn't mean that, if I get inspired, I won't make a friend a "surprise" later on.

I don't know about you, but I can feel guilty for taking up too much oxygen in the room. I try to recognize that undeserved guilt is inevitable and try not to act on it.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 AM

Why should YOU feel guilty for someone else's bad manners?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by kathbug View Post
No one should feel obligated to use their craft for someone else unless it is out of love for someone, Christian love. And made with a cheerful heart. If it is something you don't want to do you will not do you best!
I understand your point, but Christians don't have the monopoly on love!