Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I a meanie? >

Am I a meanie?

Am I a meanie?

Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM

I agree, it is a hobby, when you start doing it on demand, than it becomes a chore. I don't make quilts for people or quilt on my mid arm for people. I will leave that to the professional long armers. I had a relative ask to make a quilt, I told her that I would double the cost of materials, and that is what I would charge, about $300.00. She has never brought up the subject again.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:48 PM

No no no you should NOT feel guilty. It is your free time to do with it what you wish to do with it.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post
They equate home made quilts with the cheapies made in China that they get from Pottery Barn and Macy's on sale.
So true, 2 different people in the past few days have seen my free motion and commented that if I got a more expensive machine, it would do those fancy stitches for me automatically.

I've also had people think that piece work was just a print. They seem more impressed by something randomly thrown together, as opposed to something engineered and crafted.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

Many people feel entitled and think it's okay to expect others to do for them. There are four words that I say that shuts them up, " I don't want to".
Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
The gal who asked said "YOU paid thousands of dollars for that machine and you can't make me a baby quilt for my great grandaughter?"
That's right YOU did, she didn't, so YOU have the option of doing anything YOU want or not doing anything YOU don't want.
You can also say, "Yes, I paid thousands. I'll do a baby quilt. It will cost you a thousand. (if she says yes, be sure and get the money up front )
i love this responses. Could not have said it any better....lol. And then add "cheaper for you to buy an noncustomized one at walmart."

Last edited by sewmany; 02-13-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post
ABSOLUTELY NOT! People who do not sew or quilt have no idea the time and effort that goes into these.....They equate home made quilts with the cheapies made in China that they get from Pottery Barn and Macy's on sale....If this is a hobby you love, it is not a business........and turning it into a business can ruin the pleasure quilting gives you.
I agree! And, I would add that it was in quite poor taste for her to assume you were at her "beck and call" to make a quilt with your time, your resources, and your machine for her GGD just because she wanted you to!!! Some people!!!!!! (shaking head in disbelief)
Old 02-13-2013, 05:39 PM

Wow! That lady has some nerve. Just say no. You owe her no explanation or reason. It's none of her business what you paid for your machine.

The other post where the lady said that wasn't Christian. Love that one. What does Christianity have to do with her not getting her way. She needs to get a grip and maybe think about what Jesus would do. Bringing religion into it is inappropriate.
Vickie
Old 02-13-2013, 06:10 PM

I just say "No"! I don't have time, the END!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM

No, you are not a meanie !! This woman is not a friend. She probably has a kitchen, does she cook and bake for your family ? I have learned to say no and mean it without guilt. I had a very good friend ask me to make a queen size quilt for her and she would give me $25.00. I was just starting to quilt and had no stash at all, my first quilt had cost me over $200 with the fabric and batting so I knew that $25 was nothing. I just told her I was not good at quilting yet and maybe someday ........ Good Luck.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
I agree, it is a hobby, when you start doing it on demand, than it becomes a chore. I don't make quilts for people or quilt on my mid arm for people. I will leave that to the professional long armers. I had a relative ask to make a quilt, I told her that I would double the cost of materials, and that is what I would charge, about $300.00. She has never brought up the subject again.

I LOVE the quote about telling the person about doubling the cost of materials and that would be the charge for the quilt! Spells it out and paints the picture! Brilliant!
Sandy