Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I a meanie? >

Am I a meanie?

Am I a meanie?

Old 02-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

No you should not feel guilty. If she wants you to make a baby quilt I would charge her no less then $175.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
I have been asked a couple times to make quilts for people. After doing a table runner for a lady I have decided I don't want to"have" to make something for someone. One lady said "you paid thousands of dollars for that machine
and you can't make me a baby quilt for my great grandaughter?" Should I feel so guilty for saying no?
My response would be "you paid thousands of dollars for your house, can I live there?"
OR
"You paid thousands of dollars for your car, can I drive it to the races every weekend?"

NO ONE, and I mean no one should have to deal with a smartbutt with that attitude.

Stand your ground!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
The gal who asked said "YOU paid thousands of dollars for that machine and you can't make me a baby quilt for my great grandaughter?"
That's right YOU did, she didn't, so YOU have the option of doing anything YOU want or not doing anything YOU don't want.
You can also say, "Yes, I paid thousands. I'll do a baby quilt. It will cost you a thousand. (if she says yes, be sure and get the money up front )
Sounds like a decent reply. And you could add------------yep a $1000 payment is due next week. Got the thousand now? Tell me the colors and you'll have a baby quilt in few days.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
And she paid thousands of thousands oof dollars on her house and wont let you live there for free???? How dare she!!!!
some people have more balls than a bowling alley. Those people make me sick. They try to guilt us into making things for tthem. Never works for me.
Stick to your guns!!!

Looks like several of us are on the same wave length! lol
Old 02-13-2013, 02:34 PM

I would just laugh and say no it's not my profession, I only sew what I want and when I want (unless of course, my kids ask
Old 02-13-2013, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
The answer to the original question is "No" you are not mean.

To all quilters who don't want to be harassed by those seeking freebies:

Make a price-card ~

Customer buys the pattern, the fabric, and the thread.
Prices: Baby Quilt $350; Lap Quilt $400; Twin Quilt $500; Double Quilt $650; Queen Quilt $750; King Quilt $900.
Customer will pay in advance.
Customer will receive a finished quilt-top.
Customer is responsible for finding a longarm quilter to finish the quilt.

I guarantee you won't be bothered again after you hand them your nicely printed price list.

I'm a lazy quilter-----------I'd NEVER let someone pick out a pattern for me to do. I'd offer maybe 5 or 10 of my favorites and that would be it.

What if they chose a 90,000 piece trip around the world?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:37 PM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

The minute I "have" to do something, the fun ends and the chore begins. I hate chores and avoid them.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM

I make personal sized quilts for folks all the time----------FOR FOLKS I WANT TO GIVE THEM TO!

Just finished up a rag quilt for our priest who had his 4th hernia surgery. And to match, a pillow case, a book bag, a kleenex holder (imagine that!) and a mug rug. He also got the pillow for the pillowcase, a mug, flavored tea and honey for the mug rug, a 8 pack of tissues for the tissue holder, and a half dozen of our favorite books. Oh, and a basket to keep it all in to use beside his recliner. BUT I WANTED TO DO IT.

On my sewing table now is a rag quilt and pillowcase for a special guy at church who has cancer.

Did a book bag and baby quilt for my May GGS. A rag quilt and pillowcase for my GD for Valentine's day, and have another rag quilt cut for my middle grandchild.

(and have no idea how many UFO's are tucked away)

But they are being done because I WANT TO DO THEM.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I make personal sized quilts for folks all the time----------FOR FOLKS I WANT TO GIVE THEM TO!

Just finished up a rag quilt for our priest who had his 4th hernia surgery. And to match, a pillow case, a book bag, a kleenex holder (imagine that!) and a mug rug. He also got the pillow for the pillowcase, a mug, flavored tea and honey for the mug rug, a 8 pack of tissues for the tissue holder, and a half dozen of our favorite books. Oh, and a basket to keep it all in to use beside his recliner. BUT I WANTED TO DO IT.

On my sewing table now is a rag quilt and pillowcase for a special guy at church who has cancer.

Did a book bag and baby quilt for my May GGS. A rag quilt and pillowcase for my GD for Valentine's day, and have another rag quilt cut for my middle grandchild.

(and have no idea how many UFO's are tucked away)

But they are being done because I WANT TO DO THEM.
Sorry to sound like I'm bragging-------------I suspect 99.44% of you live the same way.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Jim

I would only make it if I wanted too and as for what you paid for your machine and how you utilize it is your business and none of theirs.