Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I a meanie? >

Am I a meanie?

Am I a meanie?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:11 PM

Someone on another, similar thread had a good response, "I'm sorry, I'm not taking any new clients at this time." This implies that not only do you not have time for them, but that they'd have to pay for your service. They'll never ask again.

Tate
Old 02-15-2013, 02:43 PM

No, you should not feel like you have to make something or guilty when you don't. I make and give my quilts to the ones I love. I feel they will feel the love wrapped inside. If they don't know me well, if they want one they can buy it. When I tell them how much it costs to make a quilt and the time, they usually decide they aren't as interested. Too bad for them.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:08 PM

My family constantly "volunteers" me to make things for their friends and family. I say "NO" an awful lot. I don't feel guilty EVER. My time, my money.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:37 PM

I totally agree!
Originally Posted by Rose Bagwell View Post
1st of all it's nobodys business if you paid a high price for your machine, it is for your enjoyment, not theirs. I would not feel obligated at all. Some people think they can get you to make a quilt and they expect it for free.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:31 PM

When I'm asked to make a quilt and the price from a completed small baby quilt will be over $100 that stops them. If they still want it I ask for $50 non refundable deposit. Interestingly enough my friends that have had me make quilts didn't bat an eye at the cost or the deposit. They know the time it takes.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 AM

i would ask that lady how much she paid for her house. then tell her you're moving in. afterall, anyone who paid that much for a house ought to be able to share it! lol. of course, yours would still be the only bed with a quilt,
Old 02-16-2013, 02:17 AM

I tell people quilting is my creative outlet and if I have to "make" something, it becomes a job and I have to get paid. When I make a quilt for others I never tell them until the quilt is finished. Then it is my creation, and at my pace. They are so surprised.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:13 AM

Karen McTavish who does quilting as a business says there are quilts and things she does not want to do. If asked, she says it will be $1,600 (or more) to do it and the person goes away. But it has to be a ridiculous price or someone might take you up (get cash up front).
Old 02-16-2013, 02:59 PM

I haven't read all the responses but have to reply. What a witch to tell you that since you bought yourself a nice machine, you now owe her a quilt for her ggc. I would have replied that since she spent thousands on her car, I have the right to expect her to chauffeur me around. You are a much nicer person than me - I wouldn't feel guilty, just mad.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:06 PM

You are too funny!! That would be something I'd say PaperPrincess!! But I totally agree. People just don.t get it. I have a friend that I make things for and she makes me beautiful earrings for my time & trouble.