Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I nuts to attempt this?  I Love, Love, Love  it. >

Am I nuts to attempt this? I Love, Love, Love it.

Am I nuts to attempt this? I Love, Love, Love it.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:39 PM

There is a separate page on instruction for this pattern on the website.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
Ok. Now I think I'm bailiing on this design. I got two of the sample blocks done and sewed them together. It's almost impossible to get them to match up and have a smooth flowing line. This is ceasing to be fun. This is supposed to be what it looks like. Scroll all the way to the bottom. Any suggestions how to get the blocks to meet up?

http://wannaquilt.com/patterns/dresd...fanpattern.pdf
just use template A, and fold in half right sides together, and sew a seam from edge to center of top. Flip right side out, iron carefully to keep the piont centered, and make it have pointy outer edges. Still a pretty look.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:05 PM

Yes, it is a ton of work, but it will be beautiful when you are done with it. Keep going, don't give up.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:11 PM

If you LOVE the pattern, go ahead and try making it.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
Ok. Now I think I'm bailiing on this design. I got two of the sample blocks done and sewed them together. It's almost impossible to get them to match up and have a smooth flowing line. This is ceasing to be fun. This is supposed to be what it looks like. Scroll all the way to the bottom. Any suggestions how to get the blocks to meet up?

http://wannaquilt.com/patterns/dresd...fanpattern.pdf
This is an awesome looking pattern! I love it too, but don't know that I'd try it....,maybe someday, too many others on my bucket list! LOL! Thanks for posting this link though, I've been looking for a template that only uses 12 blades for a plate! My template takes 20 blades.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf View Post
There is a separate page on instruction for this pattern on the website.
Yes, I know there are instructions. I'm following them. But when I get two blocks done and go to sew them together the design doesn't meet up. If I match the blocks end the blades are off. If I match the blades the ends of the block are off. I don't know how things could be so off. It's not like a lot of pieceing went on to get them out of whack.
If the design doesn't match there won't be a fluid line, but jaggedy.
The only thing I can figure is by drawing it up on EQ5 something must not be right. Perhaps the templates I printed out aren't accurate to the size block it said to cut.
I did overcut the background block and then trim it down after appliqueing. I thought that was common practice. So perhaps the size ratio of design to background block was wrong or the design not quite in the right place. I don't know.
It's just it would be ALOT of money for the almost 18 yds of fabric, just for the top, for it to not come out nice.

svaL
Old 04-23-2015, 12:08 PM

hmmm if I get some time I will check it out and post..Sval, can I see the two blocks you made? Maybe we can help you see what's going on with it.

Last edited by Rosyhf; 04-23-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:58 PM

Sval, you know you don't have to use her pattern. In EQ, I went down to Dresden fan and copied out, Dresden Fan Petal and the 3 petal D fan block. I delete all the parts except the blade and the background. One of the fans doesn't have that middle wedge. I will make up the one with no middle and see if they match. What I did tho, is mark the 1/4 ins seams at the corners and punched a hole so I can be exact. Here are the two block patterns. I glued them on template and cut out.
Attached Thumbnails new-temp.jpg  
Old 04-23-2015, 06:50 PM

Sval, the pattern intrigued me so I stopped working on my other 30 blocks and played with it a bit. Here are some pics. You can see that the blocks are fine until you go to join them. The first pic shows the two blocks, then I lined them up and they look good so far. Then I joined them and you can see they are off, then I ripped and joined them from the petals only and now the background is off. So this is what has to happen if you decide to do this quilt. I am just going to make more blocks and do the regular Dresden.

Ok, make one block, lay a background for the second block, next to the finished block and place your petals on that background, to match the first block and then sew the petal on. Now sew the two blocks together but Make sure that you run a pin from the 1/4 inch dot of one block to the other dot in the other block.

I marked the 1/4 inch seams on the blocks. I would do one block at a time and keep lining the petals up before sewing them on and so on. Her pdf is not showing up and I bet hers are not matching up too well either.
Attached Thumbnails dsci0004.jpg   dsci0005.jpg   dsci0006.jpg   dsci0007.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 02:38 AM

Rosy: Yes, that's exactly what is happening. Thank you so much for doing that. What do you think is the problem? I'm not nuts after all.
I redid the whole thing from start to finish. New templates, so accurate. And got the same results.
How can someone put a pattern out there that doesn't work? I depend on correct instructions.
I finally perfected the turning under process to be steamrolled by them not matching up when sewed together. I understand what you're saying about adjusting the placement each time. That really shouldn't be necessary. And too complicated for me to figure out where to put each fan in relation to the next one and get it right 80 time.
I searched for a long time for a pattern I liked. So I"m sad to see this one go.
I want an over all pattern. The Dresden Plate is too "spotty".

Thank you again. I feel so much better that you had the same problem. What a relief!!!
SVAL
PS. How do you post pics to this site? Is it easy?