Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only bare foot quilter out there?

Up until the cold weather, I'm with you, I sew with bare feet. When it gets cold I wear sneaker socks. Keeps my feet toasty!

I'm always barefoot! I learned years ago how to put my feet down on carpet as I walk so if there is a pin or needle lurking it won't go deep into my foot. Now I have tile floors so it seems safer!

bare footer here.my sewing room is carpeted and over the basement which has a wood furnace-so I am lucky to have a warm floor.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

I use my athletic shoes. I never run around barefoot, ever. I have dificulty walking so I need the treads on the bottom of my shoes to keep me from slipping and falling.

Flip flops are my main choice around the house and I take off my right one when I am ready to sew. When you live in Texas you have to be careful of what might be hiding in the carpet than can give you a nasty sting if you step on it without something on your feet.

Always was barefoot in the house so sewed barefoot. Now have to wear something due to feet/back problems. Have a nice pair of clog type slippers with arch support. But they come off in the sewing room.

Sew barefoot or in my socks at a public place.

[QUOTE=nhweaver;5796786]It has gotten colder here in DE, and I got concerned about my cold feet, then I realized that when I enter my sewing/office nook I leave my slippers at the door. I tried to use my machine with my slippers on, it is an entirely different feel. Just couldn't do it, yesterday I bought slipper socks (with those little rubber things on the bottom) and am struggling to get used to them. What do you all wear on your feet when you are at your machine?[/QUOTE
    ]my sister and friend takes shoes a socks off???

I hate shoes so I'm usually barefoot, winter or summer. In extreme cases when my feet are just freezing I have a pair of fleece socks I'll wear, comfy and loose. I was ALWAYS barefoot as a kid and have some nasty scars on one of my feet where I stepped on a broken bottle and sliced my foot open right where the big toe meets my foot and also my iner arch. Had to have many, many stitches and still remember it to this day.....yet I still never wear shoes if I can help it. I'll even run out to the car barefoot in the winter if I need something, it's such a waste of time to put on socks and shoes for a 30 second trip outside.

It doesn't feel right pushing the pedal with anything on my feet, I feel like a clod if I try to sew with my shoes on. Maybe it's all in my head but socks and shoes make me feel so confined.

Either barefoot or now that it cold, socks. Don't have a problem with socks
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Put me on the socks or barefoot list. I feel like I have better control with my foot pedal.

Never have been much of a shoe person anyway.

Blog Entries
    As a child I had to wear surgical boots in white . Soul key my parents understood why they were always dirty.When I went into the house just took boots off. Since then when I come home I take off my shoes and never put anything on. I even nip to car go into garden and to neighbours without shoes. I hate shoes inside. Socks well I may in very -0 degrees cold but at night I always have feet outside the covers no socks. I not only like using sewing machine without shoes but I do prefer to drive without shoes but it is illegal so I don't.
    Finished is better than a UFO

As a Vermonter I have very cold floors much of the year, so I'm rarely barefoot. Also as I've aged it has become uncomfortable to walk without something on my feet. I think it's collagen loss in your feet. Anyway, I occasionally sew on my Janome' smooth plastic pedal in the summer without shoes, but the Featherweight has two bumps that I think really hurt the ball of my foot without shoes. So do you all drive a car barefoot, too? Isn't that pretty much the same thing? I just don't get it. Guess it's all what you get used to. Mom taught me to sew and I don't every remember her sewing barefoot. Besides, there are always pins all over the place when I sew. Ouch! To each her own.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

I keep my house cool...64...so can't go barefoot in the winter...but have gotten used to slipper socks...never can quilt in a shoe...all summer is barefoot time for me...and as much of spring and fall as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by GemState View Post
    Socks in winter, barefoot in summer.
    This is me! (And so many others!)

I don't like wearing shoes in general...last thing I put on before I leave the house and first thing I take off when I get home! So it's only natural that I sew with either bare feet or socks.

I have to "feel" my foot pedal, I barefoot it or wear a thin runners sock.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

I live in so cal so I am always barefoot. it doesn't get cold here. I lived in northern ca for 5 years and it used to get in the 30-40's, high 50's to low 60s were warm weather so southern ca cold is like warm weather to me
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

Blog Entries
    I'm a barefoot quilter, but I use socks this time of year. I've tried with shoes on but always end up kicking off at least the one for the foot pedal. Find yourself a pair of lightweight wool socks. Look for a finely knit sock, not the heavyweight kind you'd wear with hiking boots. If they're not 100% wool make sure to get a blend with as much wool as possible.
    Last edited by quiltsRfun; 01-19-2013 at 10:20 AM.

I can sew either way...barefoot, socks, slippers and crocs...regular shoes don't work for me.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    I have to try that! Great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by bunniequilter View Post
    I end up with left foot encased in socks and or slippers and right foot bare for the machine pedal.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    I'm the same way
    Me too! And I've never stepped on a pin yet...(crossing my fingers now that it doesn't happen to me)...

I love being barefooted, but in the winter have socks and slippers on.
    I do have to kick off the right foot slipper to "feel" the pedal properly tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyncat View Post
    I'm always barefoot! I learned years ago how to put my feet down on carpet as I walk so if there is a pin or needle lurking it won't go deep into my foot. Now I have tile floors so it seems safer!
    I remember learning how to walk gingerly after I stepped on a few Legos on the floor - ouch, those things really hurt!

Barefeet in summer and socks in winter.

Barefoot or socks. Never shoes.

I have never sewed with my shoes on, not even at the quilt shop classes.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast