Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Am I the Only One Concerned...

Is 'fade' the cause of the light streak down the fold line of fabrics? Sometimes I think I carry it home from the fabric store with this light line. Of course, I never notice it in the store.

Blog Entries
    I have my fabric stored in open shelving, some near windows, some in clear plastic containers .... but sewing every day doesn't allow much stash
    accumulation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt1950
    Is 'fade' the cause of the light streak down the fold line of fabrics? Sometimes I think I carry it home from the fabric store with this light line. Of course, I never notice it in the store.
    yes it is..
    check your fabric when getting home and return if faded.

Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i'm always so surprised when people let their fabric get exposed to the sun - we all know how much money goes into our stash - why on earth would you do that.
    Well, speaking for myself, I have neither the space nor money for big tubs to hold my stash, so it is on open shelves. I have put curtains on both of the windows in my sewing area and keep them drawn (and the fading of the fabric of the curtains is enough to scare me) but it's just not an option to not let them get exposed to sun. Although I might think about putting a sheet or something over the shelves, I hadn't thought of that.

mine are on shelves but curtain is always shut.I have not had a problem yet.I have had small quilts in rooms where sun hit a lot and they faded after about 5 yrs of daily exposure.gave me a reason to make more,lol

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    If any of you have low E windows that helps a great deal if things are left out. I know my sofa and drapes don't have nay fade marks on them since we got our new window.
    I've heard that the low e helps alot in windows. I don't really know from experience. I have alot of my fabric out in shelves right now....they have always been in bins and I am putting curtains up tomorrow or the next to keep the light out.

Sometimes this line can be caused washing fabric without unfolding it. If it wasn't there before and appeared after washing and drying, that might be it.

I have mine in dark green totes so the only time they get exposed to sunlight is when I'm playing with them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer2009
    in regards to storing fabrics in or on shelves, clear containers out and about in a room where they are exposed to light on a daily basis..
    doesn't accumulated light fade the edges exposed to the light so much ??
    Yes, they will fade and weaken the fibers at the fold lines. That is why I refold mine every few months. Mine is in closets with bifold doors. And some is stored in metal filing cabinets. Am trying to use up a lot of the older stuff. I only have scraps in plastic bins, on the darker side of my basement. Cotton needs to breathe and shouldn't be in airtight plastic bags or tight lidded plastic containers.

Blog Entries
    Mine are on shelves, but then I made a cover that covers the shelves. After I read on here that light fades the fabric. Couldn't afford to change the way I stored my fabric. I remember that my gm had her fabric covered, didn't know why she cover them, now I know why

I keep mine in a closet on shelves out in the garage. Nice and dark in there.

Quote Originally Posted by t-robin
    Sometimes this line can be caused washing fabric without unfolding it. If it wasn't there before and appeared after washing and drying, that might be it.
    I'm certainly guilty of that! I will be sure to unfold the fabric from now on. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well, a voice from the other side. I just checked fabrics in my stash, on open shelves, in my utility room. One window with no blinds or curtain, however, there is a carport on that side of the house. I pulled a piece of fabric that I know I have had for at least 6 years and I don't know how long my Mom had it.

There is no fading along the fold line.

I don't have an explanation for this and just don't worry about it.

Blog Entries
    i keep my fabric in a big antique Pennsylvania Dutch blanket chest which is very deep and holds a great big stash for me.

Steam ironing can cause some damage to the fibers and fade the fabric. Also make sure that the fabric is dry after you use any water or steam on it before you put the fabric back into your totes. I always toss the fabric in the dryer for 5 minutes before putting my fabric back in the totes.

Blog Entries
    All my closets are full. Not even a drop of sunlight can get in there.

Why not just turn your fabric in sideout,,,,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shrabar
    Why not just turn your fabric in sideout,,,,
    I love this idea !!...however I am a very visual person and am always checking to see I have the right side. You wouldn't be able to scan stash to see what you want very well; but I really like this idea.

Personally, I'd rather live without fabric than without sunshine. :shock: :lol: My studio is heaven on earth, bright, open, two walls of windows, no curtains or closets, and so very full of inspiration and joy. I cannot imagine sewing in a cave when I can play in a garden instead! :D Perhaps it's the northern latitude, but my fabrics have never shown any signs of fading and some are over 40 years old.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    I store my fabric in clean "showbox" size plastic containiers but they are behing closed doors.

...nope, I have my fabric stored away from light..I've seen what natural light can do to fabric and it isn't pretty (no grin there).

I occaionally think of it in passing but the part of my brain that worries is already overloaded so I ignore the problem. As a world class worrier and insomniac I'd rather worry about asteroids falling from the sky or whether black mold is blooming in the crawl space under my house or even the possibility of cell phones causing cancer. Seriously, I am a worry wart but I can only worry about so many things!

Another reason to use up that stash and buy what you need, when you need it. I always have some left over - but buying to just store it is not such a wise thing in my opinion. - Doesn't it seem that whenever you start something special you never have what you need no matter how much fabric you have?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roxannebcb
    Another reason to use up that stash and buy what you need, when you need it. I always have some left over - but buying to just store it is not such a wise thing in my opinion. - Doesn't it seem that whenever you start something special you never have what you need no matter how much fabric you have?
    I agree with you... another trip to the store.

We bought those kind of windows when we replaced ours
    several years ago. It was only a few dollars more for each
    window, and nothing fades, furniture, carpet, fabric, curtains
    It is well worth it. But obviously everybody can't replace their
    windows (we have an old house, so it was an easy decision..
    we needed new ones). Good comment, tho in case anybody'
    plans to do that in the future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast