Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one >

Am I the only one

Am I the only one

Old 04-12-2011, 05:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilter68
I like the old traditional patterns and to look at the new artistic creations. The only thing I REALLY DO NOT LIKE is quilts that are quilted to within a square inch of their life. They could stand up in the corner. It takes away from the designs and the cuddleleness. (Is that a word?)
AGREE 100%
Old 04-12-2011, 05:32 AM

I love looking at the newer stuff. But I prefer the older stuff right now. I think that is because I just know my level of experience isn't up for the new stuff yet. Especially the thread painting.

Although I would love to do a medallion quilt with some of the panels I've seen. I saw this beautiful panel on Kona Bay Fabrics but I can't find it now.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:36 AM

no you are not alone. I am right there with you. I love scrappy quilts.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 AM

I like all the older quilts but I am not a triditional piecer, I love all the new stuff too and especialy the art quilts...
Old 04-12-2011, 06:13 AM

You are not alone. I am of the old school also. I feel that the quilts made by our grandmothers, great-grandmothers were beautiful as well as functional. I realize that those beautiful Baltimore Album quilts were of the type made by the fancy and affluent women of the northeast, and I appreciate their talent and patience in creating these beautiful quilts. I am from the lower class of people that came from the Midwest and were farmers from way back, so if it isn't functional it wasn't considered as necessary. I also love the old TV shows and women's fashions of the 40s and 50s. I guess I am an old soul as well. Have a Blessed day. Jeanniebelle
Old 04-12-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by ruck9085
That loves the old quilts? I just can't get into these new patterns. I like basic, old fashioned, scrap quilts like my granny made. I love the four patch and the Grandmother's Flower garden and the like. I can't get into the landscape quilts or the portrait quilts or even the Bargello's though I have to admit, I've seen some really gorgeous ones.
Also, I love bright colors, mostly reds, yellows and blues, and small print, like Calicoes, not huge florals.
So, am I just an old soul,or are there others like me?
Guess I'm an old soul too. I like old-timey quilts.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:10 AM

Prefer the traditional patterns, but have fallen in love with the D4P and D9P. It amazes me that someone can come up with such ideas.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 AM

I think it's mainly just you because most of us just love quilts.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 AM

I'm so dull I like 2.5" squares sewn together. I am thinking about trying a Log Cabin though.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 AM

I think that what I admire in someone else's quilting isn't always the same as what I would choose to make myself. Like you, I prefer more traditional designs and fabrics and I confess that I really, really don't like the Kaffe Fasset style fabrics that have become so popular. To my eye, they just look garish. But while I would never make a landscape quilt or an ultra-modern design, I admire them.