Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one?

I eventually end up with a lot of bobbins half filled with every color in the book so my solution is to start putting blocks together with any bobbin that needs to be emptied. I am currently finishing up some Christmas quilt tops and am emptying bobbins to reload with all one color for the actual quilting. Does that make sense? Odd colors shouldn't show up...every block is different so have lots of colors in the squares. Am I just lazy or cheap? Will the quilt police come & hunt me down?

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lynn_z
    I eventually end up with a lot of bobbins half filled with every color in the book so my solution is to start putting blocks together with any bobbin that needs to be emptied. I am currently finishing up some Christmas quilt tops and am emptying bobbins to reload with all one color for the actual quilting. Does that make sense? Odd colors shouldn't show up...every block is different so have lots of colors in the squares. Am I just lazy or cheap? Will the quilt police come & hunt me down?
    I do the same thing when I'm working with multi-colored fabrics. Stitching doesn't show - so why not?

Blog Entries
    I take thread from partiallly emptied bobbins and use when i am hand basting my quilt sandwiches.

Blog Entries
    I have a bunch of bobbins with all different colors on them. I use them all. I do not use the black threaded ones on something that I am working on that is white. But for everything else...use them all.
    Recently I filled 6 bobbins with this cream colored thread. They would not work in my machine to save my life. I go to my sewing class and the bobbin is still in the machine and I tried sewing and nope don't want to work so one of the ladies came over and told me that I had Quilting Thread in it and not regular thread and that is why it wouldnt work. LOL But I use whatever color bobbin thread I have at the time.

I do that. I like to finish of my bobbins and not waste the thread. If I think it will not show up, I will use it up in the piecing!!!!

My friend does this and passed the hint along to me. I think it is a great thing.

Blog Entries
    I have dozens of bobbins for my apparel sewing machine, but only a few for my quilting machine. Apparel sewing calls for matching thread. Piecing can be done with a just a few colors. A medium light gray is the best blender, but I don't like gray so I use a pale lilac. Even my black Jewel Box is pieced with various dark threads, not black.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Yup, I do that too..

I do the exact same thing all the time. I call it being resourceful! lol!

Learn something new everyday here on QB. Thanking you all for excellent idea!!!

Blog Entries
    I also am "resourceful"..just careful with dark threads on light and vice-versa...when I have used burgundy bobbin with red top for instance, you absolutely cannot tell it...I also will take with me if I am doing hand sewing, and use them that way, too...I can't see wasting all of that thread!!

I have a couple spools that were empty, but now have 3 or 4 small amounts of different colors of thread because I wouldn't throw away the thread, but I needed the bobbin, so I put the thread on the spare spool. Then it's available to use up whenever I can, when the color doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Great idea....bobbins driving me nuts..the part that really bugs me is I can't remember which bobbins are 100% cotton or something else...

Blog Entries
    I use my partial bobbins on the top of the machine, where I can keep an eye on them, and rethreading is less trouble.

I use a light/med gray on all my piecing, blends right in.

Power Poster
    I do it also.

dd
    I just took a class on scrappy pineapple and was specifically told to use up those old bobbins of odd thread. After all they are scraps too. I have so many more spools to use now.

I do the same thing too. This works out good for scrappy blocks.

Blog Entries
    Oh yes, I do that all the time!

I use mine up that way too, so I have empty bobbins when I need them. I just use them, and don't worry about if one is cotton or the other polyester unless it is a new project that demands one or the other. The seams in the back of the quilt will hold together anyway. Look at those made 50 to100 years ago, they didn't have polyester anything in those days and the quilts are still alive and well.
    One thing I found out thought, don't let a spool of thread sit on the thread holder above the bobbin winder, I found it wound around inside the machine on something and lots of it, all different colors, had to cut it off that rod with a fine scissors. No more thread on top of the machine besides the one I am using, I learned my lesson and now have a bobbin winder on the side.

Carol J.

CarolJ.

I do that all the time ;-)

Blog Entries
    What a great idea. I don't know how many partial bobbins I have. Thanks,

Lynn :thumbup:

Sometimes I use partial bobbins to piece with and sometimes I will use them for hand sewing the binding - I don't want to waste the thread thats leftover.

Quote Originally Posted by alikat110
    I take thread from partiallly emptied bobbins and use when i am hand basting my quilt sandwiches.
    Great idea! i have scads of partial bobbins and a sandwich to baste. I'm so glad I came here first!

SMR
    I had the same problem until I decided to mark the bobbbin wih a permanent marker with c for cotton, b for bobbin weight for machine embroidery. seems to be working for me
    Quote Originally Posted by tellabella
    Great idea....bobbins driving me nuts..the part that really bugs me is I can't remember which bobbins are 100% cotton or something else...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast