Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one?

Blog Entries
    I have 5 notebook type binders full of quilt patterns which include some I have printed off and some I have torn from magazines. But now, I am becoming more selective and just save them on my computer when I can. Then if I really want to make them, then I can print one off. Takes up less space, too.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

i rarely print out a pattern. i usually save a site to my favorites list or save patterns and their directions on a separate sd card.

Blog Entries
    Save them to a document file on your computer. Then, transfer to a disk or external drive via flash drive or USB cable. No more paper clutter, and you can label the files any way you need to for future reference. Create and save the files to sub folders; cut and paste and add to a larger folder that has 'like' files.

Blog Entries
    I used to print out lots of patterns and saved them in clear sleeves in 3 ring binders. Now, I save on my computer. But one thing that I can't stress enough is to BACKUP those precious files! Flash drives and CD's are cheap. Just think of how bad you'd feel if you lost everything to a computer virus!
    Sue

I have them saved all over my desktop and a billion bookmarks of specific projects - I had to take my computer in to a repairman - it had a virus and wasn't working right. He called and asked me - Do you have just quilting patterns on your computer - Yep- I said - I really only check a few sites a day - and several quilting sites and blogs.

When I get too many on the desktop then I make a folder and save them some where else. I think I am addicted to free patterns/tutorials as I am to fabric.

Blog Entries
    I hope there is a 12 step program for this, too. I'm in need of it. I'm guilty of this. I'm a what if type of person. What if I want to do that quilt & I can't find it. I should know better because all I would have to do is ask on the QB. You people on here can find anything. One of my problems is that I'm not very computer savvy. I wish I knew as much as BellaBoo. I would love to save them then send them to my Nook when I wanted one. It would make my life so much easier & a whole lot less cluttered. When I'm gone they can have one great bonfire. But, until then I will still be printing off a few patterns now and then.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Blog Entries
    I now have more blocks printed that I will never get done and plan so many projects don't know how it all will be accomplished I know this but I still keep adding to the piles

I do some of them, if they somehow aren't in a PDF file or the picture alone isn't self-explanatory. Otherwise, I have a file on my computer called quilt ideas. I save pictures and pdf files to it. I also have book marks and put them in a folder called quilting and sewing ideas.

But I find that sometimes blogs quit being on line or those links get old and expired. So, actually printing them out or saving a pdf or jpg file to your own computer or your cloud would be the best way to keep them, if you want them for sure.

QM
    Most of my quilty friends do this. I did, but now I turn those patterns into QuiltPro files on my computer. It's much easier to find what I want.

My trusty flashdrive goes everywhere with me
    Everyday is a good day for Quilting!

Blog Entries
    I have done the same thing, can't pass up downloading a pattern that I hope to some day make. I bought a binder and page protectors, I got 125 at Staples for about twelve dollars. I put my downloaded patterns in the sheet protectors along with the patterns I tear out of magazines. I found I had a huge stack of quilting magazines so I tear out what I want to keep, including a section in my binder for single blocks and tips, and toss the adds and rest of the magazine in the recycling bin. I love sitting down every so often and paging through my pattern binder and wishing I had more time to make my favorites.

Absolutely, not alone! I do the same thing..have my own file drawer for printouts...lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
    Am I the only one that prints off free quilt patterns and such from the computer and have it in stacks in my sewing room? I bought some hanging file totes to put them in. There is so much information out there it is keeping my ink supplier in business!
    Mine too! And the paper supplier as well.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I have a huge binder that holds the ones I printed off. I put threm in the clear plastic pages. I'm not printing anymore off unless it's something small I just can't resist. I'll never live long enough to get all I have done.

I save them on a USB, takes up no space to speak of to store the USB and can view whenever I need a pattern. I used to print out everything and became so over run with paper, files, etc and found I never read them. I have stasrted scanning magazines for what I want in them and saving on USB and passing the magazines along to outhers. If I never read what I sacnned it does nto matter, UBS only takes up a couple inches of space compared to space magazines take up.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    I store them online. No need to print them until I need them.
    So do I. When I first started quilting I would print them out but saving them online works so much better. Never have to remember where I put the pattern, it's somewhere on my computer and easy to find.

Blog Entries
    you are not alone. I have so many that I want to try but I need to get my UFOs finished before I start anything else. Between spending too much time on the computer or householdl duties or my son being home so I cannot get to my sewing room, I will never get to try even half of what I print. lol
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by alfosa421 View Post
    I confess!! I have tons of patterns. I use the clear sleeves and have them in binders.
    I do the same thing! I enjoy flipping through the binder and looking at the patterns for ideas or inspiration. Of course, I prefer books to Kindles or Nooks so maybe I'm a little "old school".

No, you aren't alone.

I print patterns because I can lay the "possible quilts to make" on my cutting table and compare them, choosing from there. I'd go nuts trying to compare various bookmarked sites.

Confession: not only do I print the patterns, I bookmark them too. The previous thread about losing a pincushin? My life for the last few years has been a search and rescue mission, hence the doubles of stuff I really want to keep track of. Hard with the two husbands. ;- )

P

I print them out when I find them and put them in the three ring binders I use for magazine patterns. If I did not print them I would never remember them and I like to sit and look through my binders like a magazine to decide what I want to do.

free quilt patterns

Quote Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
    Am I the only one that prints off free quilt patterns and such from the computer and have it in stacks in my sewing room? I bought some hanging file totes to put them in. There is so much information out there it is keeping my ink supplier in business!
    I bought the plastic sheet protectors and put my internet free patterns in them and then into a big 3 ring binder. works super.

OOH YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have three 3" ring binders filled with patterns. I also have hundreds of articles/patterns from magazines in folders. I love to look through them. They are slowly getting reorganized so that I can keep what I really want to make.

You are not alone out there in this world of free quilt patterns. I do the same as many others have indicated they do too. I just three hole punch them an put them in a three ring binder. Ta-Da! The pattern ideas stay safe and I can use this as my go-to place when I just must try something new to as to my UFO basket!

I don't print them - costs too much but I do have thousands of PDF files saved! Like I'll EVER get around to even a small portion of them Still, I just can't help myself!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

I am exactly the same way!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast