Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Am I the only one?

I have a loose leaf notebook filled with quilt patterns I've printed from various sources. For those I've used and planned to use again, I have a plastic bag insert with a zipper that holds the plastic templates I made.
    Happy quilting Grandma

I have 3 large notebooks of free patterns. I won't live long enough to make all these quilts or use all my fabric stash, but I have them if I need them! lol

i tend to store them on the computer. i like the idea of a flash drive just for quilting. i have oodles of books and magazines as well. those are my inspiration points for new projects. i do use the patterns i have, abet slowly since i only do one quilt at a time and those are mostly handquilted. i will learn to FMQ as soon as i quit working away from home so much, since that would speed up the process of making quilts for 15 family members.

OMG...do we all need to go to rehab. Let's go together and share our patterns w/ our buddies. Have SEVERAL 3 ring binders and last year went thru them all and took out patterns I just knew I'd never use and brought them to the free table at the guild. From my files to theirs...such excited quilters. Last month went thru them again and took the "why do I still have this pattern" from the binder and now printing out new stuff on the back of the old stuff. Recycling comes to my printer. So now have new file to file away.

And then there's the computer. It's in FAVORITES for a reason, right?

Does the madness ever end?
    Last edited by Julie in NM; 09-29-2012 at 03:36 AM.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
    Am I the only one that prints off free quilt patterns and such from the computer and have it in stacks in my sewing room? I bought some hanging file totes to put them in. There is so much information out there it is keeping my ink supplier in business!
    I too have a lot printed off and filed. I also have others bookmarked (these are maybe's). Then I have JUMP DRIVES that I have them on. I always use the same color (outer cover of drive), for patterns. That's because I use different colors for other things. I also like the drives that have a hook thing on them so all my drives can be on a ring hooked to my sewing table. I know that does not say I will use them all, but I know how to find them IF I need a pattern. Good luck

Doesn't everyone save patterns, free is a great word to lure us into daydreaming there will be enough time to make all of those lovely designs. Personally, when my old bones keep me away from the sewing machine, I open those folders and enjoy others designs.

I have a file drawer full of patterns

I will be back at it shortly, had to order ink for my printer!!
    Amythyst

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA
    Yes Yes Yes - I have folders full of patterns. It's fun to look for patterns, it is just part of the whole process of quilting and knitting and crocheting. I say go for it!
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, WINE IN THE OTHER, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

I'm trying to just save them now...I have so many that I've printed and not used YET. When cleaning the basement storage room I came across a notebook left over from one of my sons...so I have them filed neatly.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    Guilty! But, am switching to storing on a Flashdrive. Same with saving photos posted on QB. My computer is getting tired of holding all of the ones I have saved for future inspirations!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SallySaidSew View Post
    I, too, save them to my computer in folders by quilt type - ie: jelly rolls, table runners, misc quilts, etc. That way I have less files to search through when I'm looking for a particular style.
    That's how I save patterns too. In addition to those you mention, I have folders for Baby, Juvenile, Christmas and I include the name of the block or pattern as well as the photo of the finished quilt. I save many to Pinterest nowadays. I can get lost for HOURS on Pinterest.

No, you are not the only one. I,m guilty as charged. I also do this with embroidery designs, and buy
    pattern books and just read them and not make any of them. I,VE GOT TO STOP!!!!
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Rather than print it, I save a picture and the link in a computer folder named "Quilt Ideas". It takes up less space, and if I remember to give it a name that makes sense to me, I'll be able to find it a lot faster than I would a paper copy. Printing only makes sense if you are afraid you're going to be snowed in with no power for several weeks, and then only if you have a treadle machine. The price of an ink cartridge for my printer would buy several yards of fabric!
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I used to print tons of patterns as I found them on the internet. Now I "save" them to a folder on my desktop until I get them copied to a disc. Takes up less room and if I do decide to make 1 of them, it is easily pulled up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    I store them online. No need to print them until I need them.
    This is what I do also, my ink is so expensive plus when I would print them off I would run out of room to keep them and they would get mis placed. By storing them online they are all in one spot & I can find them easily.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
    Am I the only one that prints off free quilt patterns and such from the computer and have it in stacks in my sewing room? I bought some hanging file totes to put them in. There is so much information out there it is keeping my ink supplier in business!
    Why not save a PDF in a special folder on your computer and print it out when you finally make it. Saves a lot paper and closet space & it's easier to find.

I too save a large amounts of free patterns that seem to draw me in to make them but most are bookmarked at first in a folder just for quilting that has subfolder for what kind it is-strip/patch/star/scrappy etc. After a while I will print a bunch of them and store them in paper protectors and old binders for ideas by the same categories. That way when I feel like cutting a large amount of strips for a charity quilt-a-thon, I can just look at my patterns for that. Making 10-20 quilt tops in 2 weeks can become boring if you use all the same pattern and this way I can precut the fabric into strips and then bag the ones I need for a particular size with the pattern and I am all set. Preplanning helps cut down the time just figuring out what to do and you don't end up bringing things that you don't need.

How about taping quilting shows on the DVR?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4