Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one?

I prefer a pattern. It just works well for me. If I want to design a quilt I do it on EQ 6 and there is a pattern for me.

Blog Entries
    Are you talking about the shapes and order of the pattern pieces or the colors that are used in a sample? I have to follow the pattern to make sure that my star doesn't end up looking like a wedge cutter, but I pick my own colors. Sometimes I change size and layout too - sometimes I follow the rules. It all depends.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Are you talking about the shapes and order of the pattern pieces or the colors that are used in a sample? I have to follow the pattern to make sure that my star doesn't end up looking like a wedge cutter, but I pick my own colors. Sometimes I change size and layout too - sometimes I follow the rules. It all depends.
    It all frustrated me to be honest! I have tried to pick my own fabrics, and then I can't decide what I want to use for which, and therefore I am still standing there like a dumb-dumb not being able to figure out how much I need of which :) So, I pick what I like, and see what happens! I made a Turning Twenty that I really liked (oops, I didn't buy the pattern, just figured it out from the pic!) and and tube quilt, and d9p, and a few simpler designs, and they mostly turn out how they are supposed to! Glad I'm not the only one pattern challenged!

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

LOL----I just bought a pattern for a woven-look quilt that is made from either 48 or 56 log cabin blocks, no two alike. Cool looking quilt but do I have the patience to do THAT perfectly?????? Um.....not quite! So my next challenge is to figure out an easier way to piece it.

Blog Entries
    I, too, am a Gemini! I have made about 20 quilts (baby and large) and have only used a pattern on one of them. I am copying a pattern I saw on here and just figured my own measurements. I have the first block sewn and it looks great. My numbers worked as well. I, too, get lost in all the list of pieces you need to cut in a pattern. Is it just us Gemini who have to go it our own way?

I make a list in a table, with the cut size at the top, the color down the side. Then, each one goes in a plastic folder with a labelled size, and the quilt it is for. This is then placed in an A4 folder, with the pattern at the front.
    When I lay them out, I label each row (1, 2, 3,) and column (1a, 2a, etc) pin that to the the square, then sew it to the block as a thread saver.
    Then it joins the rest of my really well organised UFO collection. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have yet to actually use a pattern per se. Just tend to play it by ear and do my own thing. It is nice to have the dimensions of the pieces in the block you're doing spelled out in EQ7 however. And of course I've modified the block from the 'stock' block anyway...and it still comes up with the dimensions for me...whoohooo!

Patterns are just a starting point for me even in regular sewing. I'll take this from that one and that from another one and make it how I want it.

I tend to start with the fabric, figure out which ones play together nicely, what proportions I want of each, how big the focal fabric needs to be, then go from there.

So far I haven't done anything with little bitty pieces (smaller than 2-1/2" squares or 1-1/2" strips) except for playing around with scraps and sewing them into strips for future use.

kbedierman, I do that too. I usually look at the design and figure it out for myself. I haven't been buying patterns, as I can look at a quilt and make it my own way. Eiltcoq.

Blog Entries
    I make quilts both ways. If it is a pieced quilt I usually have to use a pattern unless it is a crazy patch or something like that. If it is an applique I may use a pattern or not. I may draw my own pattern or just start cutting. It just depends. I find some patterns very confusing and have to read them so many times I lose interest in the quilt.

I don't use patterns. I have one time and it was a disaster. The seams did not match up very well, and it was difficult to follow. I buy books and learn how to make a block, and then create my own quilt.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm always looking for a block that I like and looks to be something I can handle. The hardest part of knowing how much to buy is that I often change my mind about how I'm going to put it together or lay it out. Much less frustrating than trying to figure out some of their instructions and then they use different colors in the display and tell you to buy other colors. What's with that?

I'm one that likes to look at other's ideas and then do my own thing. I do use patterns, but I like to do my own too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee
    I look at the pictures and do my own thing. As for me this is easier for me and I like the challenge of doing it myself.
    My sentiments also. I look at something, if I like it, I do what I like to do with something

Alot of those patterns are made to sell a fabric line.
    so every fabric in the line is used.
    Sometimes I make the pattern but use the fabrics I like,sometimes alot fewer than suggested!

Your not brain challenged if you don't need a pattern..you must be pretty bright...I can make anything from a pattern...I can't for the life of me figure out how to make things with out one...I can invision it and thats as far as it goes..now that is brain challenged to me..blessings

I never follow the pattern. I always have to "improve" something. LOL I love patterns though and I glean ideas from all of them. I think some are way too complicated ot twadly. My quilt buddies often come to me and I help them make a pattern do able and simplify it.

Blog Entries
    I have only made one quilt using a pattern and I even changed that to my satisfaction. I lay out my own things using pattern ideas and then change them as I go. I design one of a kind for my baby quilts.

Blog Entries
    Lots of times I get ideas from a pattern I see online or elsewhere and then go with my own design from there. Sometimes I follow a pattern.

I do both. I like patterns that give me ideas and go from there.

My thought is... if I don't use a pattern, who knows its wrong? tee hee

Well, yes and no. Many of the newer geometric patterns I can just about look at the picture and figure out how to do it without buying the pattern. Even if I buy a pattern many times I make it from the picture rather than reading the instructions. But if a pattern says "read all these instructions before beginning" I do. Wanna know why? In college I was taking a class and when the final exam rolled around at the top of the test it said "Read completely through before beginning." I did and found out the last item said "If you followed the instructions as written you can turn your test paper in now without going back and answering the questions." Point taken. Applique patterns are another story. If it's applique I just <<>> buy it.

Must be because I am a Gemini also and that is how I quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dixiechunk
    Well, yes and no. Many of the newer geometric patterns I can just about look at the picture and figure out how to do it without buying the pattern. Even if I buy a pattern many times I make it from the picture rather than reading the instructions. But if a pattern says "read all these instructions before beginning" I do. Wanna know why? In college I was taking a class and when the final exam rolled around at the top of the test it said "Read completely through before beginning." I did and found out the last item said "If you followed the instructions as written you can turn your test paper in now without going back and answering the questions." Point taken. Applique patterns are another story. If it's applique I just <<>> buy it.
    ditto

I cut and sew and whatever size it came out, that is the size it will be. I never said my quilts were perfect.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast