Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one? >

Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

Old 07-12-2010, 03:05 AM

I, too, am a Gemini! I have made about 20 quilts (baby and large) and have only used a pattern on one of them. I am copying a pattern I saw on here and just figured my own measurements. I have the first block sewn and it looks great. My numbers worked as well. I, too, get lost in all the list of pieces you need to cut in a pattern. Is it just us Gemini who have to go it our own way?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:13 AM

I make a list in a table, with the cut size at the top, the color down the side. Then, each one goes in a plastic folder with a labelled size, and the quilt it is for. This is then placed in an A4 folder, with the pattern at the front.
When I lay them out, I label each row (1, 2, 3,) and column (1a, 2a, etc) pin that to the the square, then sew it to the block as a thread saver.
Then it joins the rest of my really well organised UFO collection. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-12-2010, 03:48 AM

I have yet to actually use a pattern per se. Just tend to play it by ear and do my own thing. It is nice to have the dimensions of the pieces in the block you're doing spelled out in EQ7 however. And of course I've modified the block from the 'stock' block anyway...and it still comes up with the dimensions for me...whoohooo!

Patterns are just a starting point for me even in regular sewing. I'll take this from that one and that from another one and make it how I want it.

I tend to start with the fabric, figure out which ones play together nicely, what proportions I want of each, how big the focal fabric needs to be, then go from there.

So far I haven't done anything with little bitty pieces (smaller than 2-1/2" squares or 1-1/2" strips) except for playing around with scraps and sewing them into strips for future use.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:39 AM

kbedierman, I do that too. I usually look at the design and figure it out for myself. I haven't been buying patterns, as I can look at a quilt and make it my own way. Eiltcoq.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:51 AM

I make quilts both ways. If it is a pieced quilt I usually have to use a pattern unless it is a crazy patch or something like that. If it is an applique I may use a pattern or not. I may draw my own pattern or just start cutting. It just depends. I find some patterns very confusing and have to read them so many times I lose interest in the quilt.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:23 AM

I don't use patterns. I have one time and it was a disaster. The seams did not match up very well, and it was difficult to follow. I buy books and learn how to make a block, and then create my own quilt.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:36 AM

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm always looking for a block that I like and looks to be something I can handle. The hardest part of knowing how much to buy is that I often change my mind about how I'm going to put it together or lay it out. Much less frustrating than trying to figure out some of their instructions and then they use different colors in the display and tell you to buy other colors. What's with that?
Old 07-12-2010, 05:44 AM

I'm one that likes to look at other's ideas and then do my own thing. I do use patterns, but I like to do my own too.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dee
I look at the pictures and do my own thing. As for me this is easier for me and I like the challenge of doing it myself.
My sentiments also. I look at something, if I like it, I do what I like to do with something
Old 07-12-2010, 05:48 AM

Alot of those patterns are made to sell a fabric line.
so every fabric in the line is used.
Sometimes I make the pattern but use the fabrics I like,sometimes alot fewer than suggested!