Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I out of line here? >

Am I out of line here?

Am I out of line here?

Old 02-14-2012, 05:56 AM

I also sell on Amazon and don't like their policy on non-combining of the shipping costs. I will combine shipping for anyone who contacts me personally and asked to do so. I also give bigger discounts for larger orders than on single orders. There are also times when I will include something for free (and I mean free - no addtional shipping), because of the high shipping paid on Amazon. I also don't make any money selling my magazines at the price I do because of the fees. Each magazine costs me approximately $2.73 to sell, so I make the money on the shipping charged and then it is very little because we have to ship magazines first class.

I would have cancelled my order as well since the increase in postage was not covered in their original offer. They should have "eaten" the cost and adjusted their advertising for the next time. There are so many sources to order fabric that they don't have a unique market share. It is a matter of who makes the sale out there. Good for you in sticking with your guns!

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
the amazon's vendors cannot budge on their shipping costs per amazon's policy. shipping charges are per item and cannot be combined. i had talked extensibly with a vendor about several items i had ordered and why they couldnt combine the shipping charges. they shipped each item in a separate package. you may however be able to order from that vendor's direct website if they have one. that is what i ended up doing.

if the vendor was not willing to compromise on the shipping charges, i would have weighed my desire to have the bogo offer and see if the shipping charges were out of line. if so, then yes i would have cancelled my order.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:15 AM

Shipping and "handling" has gotten way out of line. Given, the post office has gone up again on postage, but they do have the envelopes and boxes that ship if it fits...however alot of sellers charge way too much. I called Clotilde for this very reason because a $7.99 pattern was going to cost me $4.95 in shipping. Knowing that the postage at the most would be under a dollar, I called. They said that it wasn't the postage, they had to pay somone to pull the pattern and put it in the envelope. (Handling) I don't shop this outlet. I don't mind paying for shipping if it is actual shipping abd they tell me ahead of time what I have to pay. Your seller was out of line. You did the right thing. By the way, why is shipping based on price of items with some sellers rather than weight/postage. For example: purchasing a software type CD for $149 could cost $18.45 with a retailer I was buying from....I called and said it would only cost about 75 cents to mail...they said this was their policy to charge according to the dollar amount...I found the item on Amazon.com with free shipping. During Christmas I shopped with my phone connected to amazon...everytime I found a gift for a family member, I checked my phone...sometimes the retailer would match the price. Most of my shopping was done via the internet with no tax and free shipping. Many of the fabric sites and sewing/quilting related retailers do offer free shipping with their source codes off of their mailing labels...just have to watch. BTW I do not work for amazon....I don't like paying sales tax or shipping.....use that savings for more fabric.

d in TX
Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 AM

Definitely agree with you! Vendors need to be upfront on their charges!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

I agree I would have canceled.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:38 AM

Same here, I also would have cancelled. It seems a lot of places are selling items, then trying to tack on more postage,
or some fee or another. Ordering online is a good thing with the cost of gas so high and the availability of so many products at our fingertips. The post offices are hurting and its starting to show in the added postage on orders.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 AM

I would have cancelled also.shipping price should be up front-not inflated after purchase.That is sneaky and did honest in my opinion
Old 02-14-2012, 07:52 AM

I agree. Vendors should be up front with the charges. I wonder if the FTC made the vendors add the notice of extra shipping (even though it is in small print) for the 2 for 1 offers?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 AM

I would have contacted PayPal after talking to the company. Sounds like the company I work for.
The don't charge a actual shipping. "Handling" can be any amount. Depending on the item, a couple bucks is fine and the bigger and harder the item is to handle the more the handling fee goes up.
So what the company was doing to you was baiting.
You in fact were paying for the free item by paying the extra shipping (and high) shipping charges for both items.
PayPal would have checked this. I mainly only pay with PayPal because of this.
It stops companies from ripping you off and they can't get away with this baiting crap.
Since nothing was said in the ad that there were extra charges for shipping for the free items, and they accepted your payment, I believe it is illegal for them to ask for more money unless it was an HONEST mistake and they could prove it and it makes sense to the customer.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 AM

Sometimes going directly to PayPal to intercede helps.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:11 AM

In my experience, Amazon orders come from many locations, not a central distribution point. That is why the individual shipping in some cases.