Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I overly cautious during storms? >

Am I overly cautious during storms?

Am I overly cautious during storms?

Old 09-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

nope, just being smart. and don't talk on the phone either. just sit and enjoy the rain.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:51 PM

yep, always unplug mine when it storms.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:14 PM

There is also some electrical feed to appliances, computers, etc. that are left plugged in. I do my best to keep everything unplugged unless I am using it. Supposedly, it saves on the electrical bill.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:30 PM

No, you are being very smart. My parent's house got hit twice when lightening traveled into the house on the phone line. Both times they lost their tv, phones, and many other things that were plugged into outlets (and were not turned on), even with power strips. Power strips will protect items with a minor hit, not if a major lightening strike happens. So by unplugging electrical items you are making sure they will survive lightening hits.

Kat
Old 09-11-2011, 07:33 PM

I think it is a great idea. Our house was struck by lightening and we lost a lot of power supplies to equipment, even though they were on surge protectors. The power company put in a whole house protector, but discontinued the service a couple of years ago. I unplug when not being used as well.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:37 PM

I don't think so. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 PM

We had a tree right next to the house hit by lightening a few years back. Blew up the freezer, phones, tv's, vcr's.

UnPlug!! and stay off the phone and out of the shower! Saw an episode of Myth Busters and yes it will go through the phone and will hit the pipes!!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
Today was a frustrating day! We had a lot of storms in the area - it was very dark, thunder, eventually we had hail and heavy rain.

When we have or are likely to have thunder storms, I not only don't use my sewing machine or computer, I unplug them from the power strips.

Am I overly cautious? I didn't get much done today!
I've got a cheap sewing machine so I don't worry about it. But I do unplug my computer. the only problem is that there's a dish kinda thing on my roof for my internet connection so if the house gets hit the computer is probably toast too.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
Today was a frustrating day! We had a lot of storms in the area - it was very dark, thunder, eventually we had hail and heavy rain.

When we have or are likely to have thunder storms, I not only don't use my sewing machine or computer, I unplug them from the power strips.

Am I overly cautious? I didn't get much done today!
We probably don't need to, but i do the same - I pull the plug out at the machine end - easier than bending over to where they are plugging into the socket.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:03 PM

I have my Babylock Ellegante plugged into a very good quality surge protector, and always unplug the surge protector when we hear thunder or know a storm is supposed to be heading toward us, because the same surge protector has our computer modem plugged into it. Lightening can strike well ahead of a storm, so better to be overly cautious and save your possessions. I would hate for my computerized sewing machine to be gone because we didn't unplug the surge protector.