Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Amazing applique'd blocks from the estate of a 95-year-old friend of mine >

Amazing applique'd blocks from the estate of a 95-year-old friend of mine

Amazing applique'd blocks from the estate of a 95-year-old friend of mine

Old 03-02-2014, 06:38 AM

They are absolutely gorgeous.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by SemiSweet View Post
This wonderful friend of mine just passed away recently. She was 95 and had lived a very full life with lots of travels across the world. Throughout much of the 1980's she lived in Panama with her husband while her husband tended the animals as a veterinarian on the military base in the Panama Canal area. During this time, she collected tons of "molas" or "molitas." Molas are made by reverse applique, with some more complex molas having 7 or more different fabrics layered on there.
What a nice treasure! We spent some time in Thailand back during an era when missionaries were teaching the Cambodian and other refugees there to quilt. I bought one quilt each for our children and they were done in the reverse quilting. I have never seen the blocks before, but this could have been a Panama thing. Naturally the colors are more like you would find in Panama and not like the Thai colors at all. You can't imagine how intricate the stitching and cutting was in those quilts! I also bought aprons, pillow covers and the like as gifts when we returned to the States. Good memories!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:50 AM

Lucky, lucky you! Enjoy
Old 03-02-2014, 07:08 AM

Hand launder-they make clothes etc with molas so they wash them. I would go about it gingerly and try just one first! as they are beautiful...you lucked out!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:16 AM

What a treasure trove. Good luck with anything you choose to do with them. They are beautiful.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:28 AM

Those blocks are beautiful--so colorful. I can only hope that when my time comes I have at least one friend who will finish my UFO's
Sue
Old 03-02-2014, 08:33 AM

Assuming this is cotton fabric, I would fill a small basin with cool temperature water and put some Tide in it. Then I would soak the blocks, sorting them by red background, black background, etc., the best you can. I would soak them for about a half hour and then run cold water over each block to rinse the blocks. I would dry the blocks on a towel (the right side should face the towel and the back side should be up). I probably would press the blocks from the back side very lightly on a towel before piecing them together, but that is a judgment call you should make after soaking the blocks. Before doing any of this: 1) do one block only as a test; 2) if you see find you want to do this with all the blocks, I would probably only do five blocks at a time in each small basin of soaking water. You want to keep a clean and odor free basin of water. I think you have some beautiful blocks and the history of how you got them and putting the quilt together is what will impress people for years to come. As a side note, you probably just made every quilter on this Board with UFO’s feel like a million dollars telling us about the blocks you inherited. As far as designing the quilt, anything you do will be fine.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:46 AM

I would frame the most detailed....thy deserve the best display possible
Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 AM

Semisweet, I just reread my posting and realize I didn't do the most important part. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend. I'm very sorry I didn't put that first where it belonged. She had a long and adventurous life. How wonderful she trusted you to do the right thing with her treasures. Joyce in DE
Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 AM

This is so neat!