Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
American Quilting thread at JoAnn's... >

American Quilting thread at JoAnn's...

American Quilting thread at JoAnn's...

Old 02-14-2012, 07:05 AM

That thread is for hand quilting; I use it finishing my bindings. It is NOT good machine thread!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:44 AM

I bought some for hand quilting. I had used that brand in the (distant) past & was pleased with it but this time _NOT. It was stiff, felt rough - DD likened it to trying to quilt with dental floss. When it came off the spool, it held the spiral set & would knot upon itself. Not a good experience at all, & will not buy this again.

Hugs
Shirley in Indiana
Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I have used it to sew bindings on.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:34 AM

According to Dr. Bob at superiorthreads.com, this is what he has to say about glazed thread:

"Glazing involves heating the thread and then coating it with waxes, starches, and other chemicals. The thread is then polished to a high luster. Glazing results in a glossy thread with a hard finish. Glazed thread is often stiffer than unglazed thread. Most professionals do not recommend glazed threads for machine work as the glaze rubs off and gums up the machine."

Hope that helps!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 AM

Glazed cotton is for hand quilting only. It is not for using in your sewing machine. Not sure why.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:02 PM

• Some more info on Glazed Thread...

Glazed thread is mercerized cotton thread that has been waxed or treated with various chemicals that give it a polished, lustrous appearance, which is desirable for certain hand-sewing and hand-quilting projects. Although the process of glazing strengthens the thread, the glaze often can rub off and clog up sewing machines and sewing machine needles. For this reason, most stitchers will avoid glazed cotton thread for machine sewing.

[h=2][/h]
Old 02-14-2012, 03:07 PM

The Glazed cotton is a hand quilting thread. The coating is to help with keeping it from tangling while hand sewing. It will gum up your machine...and you need to buy a different thread for machine use.
Marge

Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
Has anyone used this? I bought some yesterday for a quilt I plan to start today. It is 100% Glazed Cotton, which I didn't notice until today. Not:e don't shop with a wild 3 year old. lol. Well when I was winding the bobbins to prepare for an afternoon of sewing (I hope), it seems not really wind tight. I don't know, just seemed different. All I have used thus far is Coats and Clark from Wal-Mart.

I am heading to Wal-Mart today so should I pick up some more thread? I would hate to start this quilt (55"x65", approx) and then it fall apart because of bad thread.

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
The American Thread I have is for hand quilting. Not good for your machine piecing.
I agree, glazed thread will make your machine very unhappy!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 AM

I use it for hand quilting only.