Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: American Quilting thread at JoAnn's...

American Quilting thread at JoAnn's...

Has anyone used this? I bought some yesterday for a quilt I plan to start today. It is 100% Glazed Cotton, which I didn't notice until today. Not:e don't shop with a wild 3 year old. lol. Well when I was winding the bobbins to prepare for an afternoon of sewing (I hope), it seems not really wind tight. I don't know, just seemed different. All I have used thus far is Coats and Clark from Wal-Mart.

I am heading to Wal-Mart today so should I pick up some more thread? I would hate to start this quilt (55"x65", approx) and then it fall apart because of bad thread.

Thanks!
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Never heard of Glazed Cotton? But it sounds like maybe it has a coating? You could look it up on the web to see what that is! You know some people say that you really should use 100% cotton if you want your quilts to last a life time! because poly will over time deterate!
    Think about the "Mummys" they are in Cotton not poly and some of them are still after what is it 3000 yrs LOL
    Last edited by icon17; 02-12-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    It may be hand quilting thread. I bought some by mistake and it don't work on sewing machine.
    Barb

Thanks! I will buy some more today then. Like I said I didn't notice the glazed part until today.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew

Blog Entries
    Glazed is NOT for use on your machine; at least not in the bobbin but I don't think for the top either. I totally relate to the wild child and shopping. It's like when you are on the phone and get off and they have just ate your chocolate because you told them ok but didn't know you did. My grandson and I have a deal; leave me alone when I'm on the phone or you'll get in trouble and get nothing when I get off. KIDS!!
    Judy

The American Thread I have is for hand quilting. Not good for your machine piecing.

Found this information on Superior Threads website.

Glazed. Glazing involves heating the thread and then coating it with waxes, starches, and other chemicals. Glazing results in a glossy thread with a hard finish. Glazed thread is stiffer than unglazed thread and has a wire-like look and feel. Most professionals do not recommend glazed threads for machine work as the glaze rubs off and gums up the machine. Although usually not labeled as such, glazed cottons are recommended for hand quilting only.

You might find the website informative about a lot of thread questions...they have an education section. Here is the link. http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...bel-terms-mean
    Last edited by Treasureit; 02-12-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Thanks everyone! I let my daugher "sew" with it because she kept asking and it didn't do good. So I will definitely be buying 100% COTTON today. lol

Thanks! I knew something was off when I was winding the bobbins.
    Sabrina

I use glazed cotton for handquilting only. I agree that it isn't made for the machine.

I bought some by accident I believe it is for hand quilting. Did not work on my machine.

Blog Entries
    I think it is for hand quilting. At a sewing class yesterday the instuctor told us it will screw up your machine big time.

I've used that thread on many, many quilts and never had a problem. I was told though, that that particular thread was for hand quilting, not machine. I'd really be interested in knowing whether anyone has used it for machine quilting and what they thought of it.

glazed cotton is for hand quilting. I probably would use it if i sewed on an older machine - but definitely not on the newer computerized ones....
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Blog Entries
    It is awesome for hand quilting. They should say hand quilting thread on the label.
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    The American Thread I have is for hand quilting. Not good for your machine piecing.

I got some new thread today when I was out. Next time I know to double check before grabbing and going...or should I say chasing after my Little Bit. lol
    Sabrina

It's only for hand quilting and not for the sewing machine. I love it for hand quilting.

Blog Entries
    C&C keeps changing their threads and i almost bought poly covered cotton or poly thread twice. i now get Essentials from Connectingthreads.com instead.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I use American glazed thread for hand sewing on binding, it doesn't get knots.

Do not use glazed cotton on your machine, it is for hand quilting only and can mess up your machine

I have used American Quilting thread from JoAnns. It is glazed and I use it for hand quilting. I believe it says for hand quilting on the spool.

I haven't had much luck with it on my machine, but it's okay for hand-quilting.
    katigirl

It is only for hand quilting. It is too heavy for your machine. I wouldn't use it in my machine--too much money invested to take a chance on an expensive repair. I bought that thread once and didn't even like it for hand sewing--too heavy and didn't blend into what I was sewing.
    Sue

If you bought Americana Quilting Thread at Jo-ann's--it usually runs about 99 cents a spool, that is for handquilters only. It is not made for your sewing machine.
    I love it for hand quilting!!

Chris
    What I make with my hands, I give of my heart.

Do not use glazed thread on your sewing machine. It can cause big trouble for you. It is meant for hand quilting only.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barb55 View Post
    It may be hand quilting thread. I bought some by mistake and it don't work on sewing machine.
    When you say it doesn't work in the sewing machine, I'm thinking it may just be certain machines. When I stopped hand quilting, because of hand problems) I had several spools of hand quilting thread left over. I asked the dealer and repair man about using it on my Viking. He told me , yes, for the top, but NOT in the bobbin. I do know from others that their machines are sometimes finicky about what thread is used. Personally, I have never had that problem. Just lucky, I guess. Marge L.
    When life goes to pieces, make quilts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast