Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Amish style tumbling block questions >

Amish style tumbling block questions

Amish style tumbling block questions

Old 05-29-2016, 04:24 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hampstead N.C.
Posts: 1,870
Default Amish style tumbling block questions

I just love the old fashioned tumbling blocks. The one's done with the y seams, although the blocks with the seam down the middle are nice, I love the one's done with the y seams. However finding a pattern with directions isn't happening. I searched the internet and only found a really nice one done by hand. I prefer to machine piece, so I may get it done in my lifetime. Any suggestions. Thanks
Grace creates is offline  
Old 05-29-2016, 07:59 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ridgefield WA
Posts: 7,560
Default

Here's one I found:
http://ludlowquiltandsew.co.uk/free-...g-blocks-quilt
And I saw others when I googled Amish Tumbling blocks:
http://www.sewing-solutions.com/Tumb...t-pattern.html
I also want to do it the "old" way!
Kitsie is offline  
Old 05-29-2016, 08:25 PM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Blue Ridge Mountians
Posts: 7,076
Default

the only "old way" I know is English paper Piecing. The only machine mades have a seam that splits one of the diamonds. Is there another way?
Jane Quilter is offline  
Old 05-29-2016, 10:58 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: s.cal
Posts: 2,040
Default

check on youtube.com from kate woods i think i spell her name right , but anyway she has a tutorial on the Y seam for tumbling block pattern
nellie is offline  
Old 05-30-2016, 02:13 AM
  #5  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,977
Default

Karen Combs has great patterns.
sandy
Sandygirl is offline  
Old 05-30-2016, 04:47 AM
  #6  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 10,568
Default

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
the only "old way" I know is English paper Piecing. The only machine mades have a seam that splits one of the diamonds. Is there another way?
I made a traditional tumbling blocks by machine without the split. It is pictured here http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ks-t22344.html . While it is hand quilted it is most definitely pieced by machine. You use the technique called Y seams or set in seams. To the OP, if you google directions for sewing Y seams by machine you will find many tutes. This principal is applied to any Y seam from Tumbling blocks to Lemoyne Star. It may seem daunting and tedious to not be able to speed piece or strip piece but once you get the hang of it, it goes quickly and it is a very valuable skill set to have in your quilt making arsenal. But there are no short cuts if constructing the traditional way. And I would recommend marking every seam allowance intersection where the Y meets at each corner of the diamonds. This step will make construction go smoother IMHO.
feline fanatic is offline  
Old 05-30-2016, 05:38 AM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,018
Default

Originally Posted by nellie View Post
check on youtube.com from kate woods i think i spell her name right , but anyway she has a tutorial on the Y seam for tumbling block pattern
Yes, and with her instruction, y seams are a snap! Doing a 60 degree star .......no sweat!
Geri B is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 03:37 AM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 2,569
Default

Didn't Missouri Star Quilt Company have something on this recently?
lindaschipper is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 01:03 PM
  #9  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hampstead N.C.
Posts: 1,870
Default

Wow this quilt is gorgeous a must see. Thanks Grace
Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I made a traditional tumbling blocks by machine without the split. It is pictured here http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ks-t22344.html . While it is hand quilted it is most definitely pieced by machine. You use the technique called Y seams or set in seams. To the OP, if you google directions for sewing Y seams by machine you will find many tutes. This principal is applied to any Y seam from Tumbling blocks to Lemoyne Star. It may seem daunting and tedious to not be able to speed piece or strip piece but once you get the hang of it, it goes quickly and it is a very valuable skill set to have in your quilt making arsenal. But there are no short cuts if constructing the traditional way. And I would recommend marking every seam allowance intersection where the Y meets at each corner of the diamonds. This step will make construction go smoother IMHO.
Grace creates is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 04:14 PM
  #10  
Super Member
 
117becca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: dayton OH
Posts: 1,911
Default

you can machine piece tumbling blocks and y-seams. The key is stopping 1/4" from the edge. I will back stitch to secure the point.

I think it's pretty cool to be able to get that point just right and have it lay flat! It is something to be proud of. This is part of a quilt that is all 60 degree diamonds - just arranged differently than in a tumbling block pattern.

042.jpg
117becca is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Pam
Pictures
22
07-17-2010 11:29 AM
Jen
Main
13
06-13-2010 07:59 PM
granny_59
Main
29
03-10-2010 05:32 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.