Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Amusing/Frustrating Situation at Joann >

Amusing/Frustrating Situation at Joann

Amusing/Frustrating Situation at Joann

Old 10-28-2009, 03:16 AM

Yes, you can use the coupon on only one item or if you have two slices of the same material, you can only use the coupon once. I have bought as little as 1/4 yd or as much as 8 yards of wide backing (108") on a 40% off
coupon (or 50% off). You can only buy one thing, but there is no restriction on how little or how much. Also, too, we get 50% off on end of bolt fabric. I bought 1-1/2 yds of backing the other day at $3.99 yd minus 30% and there was another 3/4 yd at the end of the bolt and I got that for 50% off. A couple of years ago a quilting customer told me that saying "You'll always use the materiall", so I cut it for the backing on the quilt, folded the 3/4 yd neatly and put it in my stash. Turns out it is a fantastic color, good background color.

Again, I couldn't be happier with our JoAnn's. Edie
Old 10-28-2009, 03:58 AM

I am a former JoAnn's employee and yes the company rules the stores. Our JoAnn's was one of the smaller ones but had been making strides in sales because of knowledgeable sales people and a manager that was ever so helpful. Corporate put a new person (at corporate) over the store and he decided we were not making "his" bottom line so they closed the store. Merchandise was not transferred to another store, it was liquidated but the sale price was more than it would have been had it been on sale at the store. In less than 3 months after this happened the
corporate person was relieved of duties. So here we are without a Jo
ann's unless we want to drive 30 miles. We did have a bathroom but had to unlock it and stand nearby while the customer used it. Yes, we hired some "warm bodies" which didn't last long. I am totally disgusted with the
fact that everything is on sale so you can't use a coupon. Why don't they
quit printing the flyers and just mark everything down more with what theysave!?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:41 PM

But that's not my experience at my Joann's! and I'm sure those people you call "stupid" wouldn't appreciate your snide and unkind remarks. Let's have a little patience here, they are working with limited people on and only do what the corporation tells them! perhaps teling the corporation what you think would make more of an impact than these remarks.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:54 PM

I'm very happy with our JoAnn stores. I have two of them that I go to.
The ladies in the smaller one are very helpful.

It is true that they have a lot of sales where you can't use the coupons but I still appreciate the fact that they are having a sale.

I do use the coupons for sewing things...new cutter or ruler, ott light, sewing thread, are a few of the things I've bought when I couldn't use my coupon on the sale material.

laughing....last time I used my coupons, I found that I was going to have one coupon left that would expire before I came to town again so....grin....I bought a candy bar for my mother at 40% off.
:lol:
Old 10-28-2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
But that's not my experience at my Joann's! and I'm sure those people you call "stupid" wouldn't appreciate your snide and unkind remarks. Let's have a little patience here, they are working with limited people on and only do what the corporation tells them! perhaps teling the corporation what you think would make more of an impact than these remarks.
I agree instead of stupid. We should say they were IGNORANT
ig⋅no⋅rant Pronunciation [ig-ner-uhnt]
–adjective
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

They were IGNORANT of plain english!
IGNORANT of customer service skills.
Maybe more importantly IGNORANT of the product they sell.
Maybe just plain IGNORANT.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:23 PM

Used my Joanne coupon Sunday for a 20" Omnigrip ruler, 50% off! Saved $25! :D :D Otherwise, I do agree, lack of quality in fabric for the most part. But I do get remnants for the prayer blankets my church makes, since those blankets are usually about 1 yd.square. I can usually find good remnants of a usable size, and marked down really nicely.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:24 PM

Hmm, so, tell the boss and if the manager isn't interested in being corrected, tell their boss, maybe that's the way to eliminate ignorance.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:39 PM

I also love Fabric .com. Always very satisfied with my purchases. And yes, I also use my 50% coupon at Joanns for W&N. Don't always buy a whole bolt, but always at least enough for 2 or 3 large quilts. My local Joanns is usually pretty good. Biggest problem is that is in the next town...so it becomes a pretty lengthy shopping trip.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:04 AM

Hi, Our local JoAnns no longer has a public restroom either. I used to work for a Bernia dealer who rented space inside the Joanns. As an employee of that business I was allowed to use the restroom. It was always an adventure. They used it for a storage room. You had to squeeze between huge boxes and bales. I can understand why they don't want the public back there. It would be a huge liability. Most of the other Joanns within a 50 mile radious of my home do have restrooms that are not used as storage areas.
When the machine dealer was still in the store they used to send anyone with a sewing or quilting question to us. It just occured to me that where the Joanns is located used to be a department store with a large basement area where their bargin room including fabric was located. I wonder what they are doing with that space these days.
I try and patronize my local quilt shops but the one closest to me is only open evenings and weekends. I am at the point in life where that time is my husband's.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:14 AM

i think everyone knows i hate my local joanns. i do however use the coupons for notions, whatever they are. and batting. and books. those things almost never go on sale. nothing else ever,

they have a viking store in joanns that they always ask fpr help, but the viking people don't know anything except the machines.