Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anne Needs A Break >

Anne Needs A Break

Anne Needs A Break

Old 04-24-2017, 07:22 AM

Well that's funny. Sounds like something I would do.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:42 AM

Tee hee! Glad to know I have company for some of the crazy things that I've done and don't tell anyone about. Oops! Just told you about them.....
Old 04-24-2017, 09:45 AM

It really is nice to know that I am not the only one that periodically has my brain take a vacation and leave me behind. Sometimes that cup of coffee needs to be taken WITH the adult beverage (and a nap is good).
Old 05-03-2017, 08:11 PM

Default Connecting the tails at the end of Binding

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Thank heavens it was an easy fix. Just annoying. :-) When I first started quilting I joined the binding with straight seams. Then after watching a few episodes of "Simply Quilts" I learned the joys of the diagonal joining. So easy, but it seemed half the time I was making the diagonals going different directions.... It was driving me crazy, how could I not remember from one piece to the next how it was suppose to go? Guess we all get in a hurry and try to go too fast. Now if I could just get down connecting the two ends when sewing it on to the quilt I will be very happy.
I completely agree with you here! I can join the binding strips together but for the life of me and many many tutorials and videos I can not join the beginning and ending tails of the binding easily. I have to watch a video over & over before I feel like I have it done correctly before I cut the excess off. One of the scariest parts for me personally.
Jeri
Old 05-04-2017, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I have developed a method for sewing the strips together that works for me. I work on my mat and pin them while flat (angled seams, of course). I always had some seams on the top of the binding strip and some on the bottom when sewing strips together that were the same on both sides. Too much frustration!
I have done that SO MANY TIMES and it's so annoying! My fix for that now is to go through and put a mark at each end of the strips on whichever side I've decided is the "back", before I sew them together. That way I don't get them all flipped around.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:25 PM

I've done that! I also sewed a couple on good side to bad side. Silly mistakes, easily fixed. Thank goodness.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:27 PM

Your problem is my problem, too! I have learned to fudge the join, though, and no one has noticed. Or maybe they noticed but don't care!!!
Old 05-07-2017, 06:02 PM

Quiltingcandy and oldtisme... I always hated the final join as well. Just found Sharon Schamber's binding video. She glues the final join together before sewing. Nothing moves and it turns out right every time. I have learned a lot from her videos. (On YouTube).
Old 05-15-2017, 07:57 PM

Jenny Doan, Missouri Star Quilt Company, demonstrates joining the final strips on The Ultimate Quilt Binding Tutorial -- toward the end of that tutorial, she tells (and demonstrates) how to join the final seams of your binding so that it will always fit. I still make mistakes -- I always will because I'm human -- just like all the rest of you. I sometimes get furious at myself when I make a mistake, but getting furious doesn't accomplish anything. We have to just laugh, back up a step and fix the problem!