Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Annie's creative quilt club question >
  • Annie's creative quilt club question

• Annie's creative quilt club question

Old 01-02-2014, 03:45 PM

Default Annie's creative quilt club question

So I received this offer to join Annie's creative quilters fabric club and I wonder if anyone has experience with this club and would comment on the quality of the fabric.
    The monthly shipments are 6 coordinated fat quarters, a pattern using the featured fabric and high-quality fabrics made from 100% cotton. This for $21.99 each plus postage and processing.
    I have no idea what the postage and processing would be.
    Would appreciate any comments about this offer.

Thanks
    Old 01-02-2014, 04:40 PM

I'm sure Annie's carries high quality fabric but it doesn't seem like you are getting a break on the cost of the fabric. Personally, I like to pick my fabric rather than have someone else do it. You do get a pattern but again I like to see if beforehand and decide if I would use it. Plus you have to consider the amount of postage and handling. Unless I was building a stash or did not have places to shop in person, I would pass it up. Is it something you can cancel at any time or are you committed to a certain length of time. I do not belong to this fabric club so perhaps someone will chime in that is a member.
    Old 01-02-2014, 04:46 PM

Thanks Jackie
    And yes you can cancel at any time. I am fairly new to quilting and o not have a large stash plus I don't have a lot of shopping choices.
    Your comments are definitely things I want to consider before I commit.
    Old 01-02-2014, 05:02 PM

IMHO $22 + shipping for 6 fat quarters-our local quilt shop has better deals than that off-sale on name brand fabrics. Many online stores offer yardage cheaper on high end quality fabrics and if you spend over a certain amount-shipping is free. Patterns are free online also. I get the convenience they are offering, but being new to this, more research may be needed before committing. Moda, RJR, etc all show their fabrics, and offer free patterns with their fabrics. This is very helpful to a beginner learning the ropes of color coordinating and pattern choosing. You asked and this is my opinion. P.S. I have bought from Annies and would do so again.
    Old 01-02-2014, 05:14 PM

For 21.99 + S&H a month, add at least 5.96 for priority shipping (probably the least expensive) and you are up to about 28.00. It might be a good way to learn new techniques, would sure ask for a list of the different things you will be learning in the different months. But for that amount of money, would be tempted to go to my local quilt shop, pick out my own 6 fat qtrs. and pattern and ask the shop for help. JMHO
    Old 01-02-2014, 08:07 PM

That comes out $3.66 per fat quarter. Or does it come with more yardage? If my math is right that is $14.66 a yard than add shipping and handling on top. Too rich for my blood. LOL For that amount I would visit my LQS
    Old 01-02-2014, 08:14 PM

It seems to me that the price is a bit high. Don't worry about not having much of a stash -- just buy fabric for the projects you want to do. You will be surprised how your stash will quickly build without purposely buying just for your stash. I probably have three to four hundred yards of fabric in my stash and still won't have the right shade so I "have" to buy more. Many of us are concentrating on using up our stash!!
    Old 01-02-2014, 08:54 PM

I understand your uncertainty as a newer quilter and the lack of local shopping. Could I offer an alternative for you to consider? Go to Craftsy.com and sign up for their Free Block of the Month classes. There is one for 2012, one for 2013 and the one for 2014 will be available on January 5th. You can watch these over and over, they are yours forever, it is like having private instruction. Use your money to either order the fabrics they are using if you like them, or when you download the patterns and instructions you can see the required amount of fabric and shop online. There are many great online shops: Connecting Threads, Missouri Star Quilt Company, Hancocks of Paducah- 2 Florida shops I use: Judy Hansen's Quiltshopofdeland.com and happyapplequilts.com and many more. Do a search on the Board here "online shops" or shopping and you'll find many recommendations. The Craftsy classes suggest using the blocks for a sampler quilt, but I make them into pillows and only actually make the blocks that appeal to me. Happy Quilting and learning!
    Old 01-03-2014, 06:55 AM

I have received a few of the fabric kits and patterns. They are beautiful. I couldn't have selected better fabrics together, but when $ is an issue they are very expensive. You can space the kits as much as you want, I believe every 6 months which can be fun. I stopped getting them and buy fat quarter bundles when they are on sale at Craftsy. Great deals and fabrics.
    Old 01-03-2014, 07:21 AM

Check out the Medley of the Month programs at Keepsake Quilting:

http://quilting.keepsakequilting.com...%20the%20month

I don't currently receive these, but used to in the past. The fabrics at KQ are lovely, the folks there are wonderful to deal with, and the cost to you would be lower than Annie's (which I personally think is way too high).