Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Annual quilt retreat >

Annual quilt retreat

Annual quilt retreat

Old 02-13-2017, 05:22 AM

Default Annual quilt retreat

Getting excited! The annual quilt retreat my DIL and I attend up in Silver City, MI on beautiful Lake Superior is coming soon. We will be there April 24th-30th. Wonderful time of fellowship with other quilters that have the same passion. Biggest problem is trying to decide what to take to keep busy and yet visit. For those of you who are considering a retreat, I have met some of the greatest gals and formed long lasting friendships plus, as you all know, quilters are the greatest at sharing ideas. My husband calls it my "hunting" trip. Love that guy! Thanks to Lynnie25 I am going to take some selvedges along to make mug rugs. Fun, huh?
Old 02-13-2017, 05:26 AM

I think I might like to go on a quilting retreat but are they for people who sew on a machine. I hand sew and think it might be fun to be around other hand sewers. Or I guess I could go to a retreat with sewing machines but then I would be the odd ball sitting around hand sewing. Just a thought.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:20 AM

Sinceresissy you could work on whatever you want at most retreats. We have members that don't get much done as they are there to socialize. The idea is to just go for the fun and fellowship
Old 02-13-2017, 09:00 AM

Grammasharon, where do you stay? I can't find a listing for Porcupine Mountain Lodge - got the name from the Quilt shop. I'm looking for either a retreat or and quilting trip to take my BF on when she's retires (we need to celebrate!). It sound like so much fun.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:36 AM

Cam's gram. We stay at the AmericInn at Silver City. The retreat actually is from Friday night to Sunday. Several of us have so much fun that we go early and pay the difference in the room. You can have a private room or double. I always get a private room and tell my DIL we will remain friends longer. She likes sewing most of the night and I like to go to bed and sew in the morning. You can do whatever you choose to do and their is always someone there to help when needed. The shop gives out a bag of goodies and there is usually a project in it and if we decide to do it we either work on it there or take it home. I usually bring what I want to work on and then if there is time do the project. The shop is Portage Quilt House in Houghton, MI and have a web site and they sponsor retreats twice a year. I go to both. April and October. So fun. PM me if you have any questions. Sharon
Old 02-13-2017, 09:40 AM

sinceresissy, quilters do whatever they choose. Most of us do machine work. there are those who do handwork. I usually do both and go down in the lounge and do handwork. Always someone stopping by to see what you are doing. Most of us bring our machines and do machine sewing. Some do machine quilting many just bring projects along and sew until they get tired of one project and switch. One gal does charity quilts for a hospital/home and cranks them out. some make pillowcases, pot holders, place mats, quilts, baby items, anything you choose to work on. I love it and can't imagine not going. We have ladies who are into their 80s and I want to grow old like them. lol
Old 02-13-2017, 10:53 AM

How fun!! I need to find a retreat close to me. I keep finding retreats that are several states away. I love the idea of a retreat but haven't found one for me yet. One day....
Old 02-13-2017, 11:02 AM

Grinch, I am sure you won't regret it. I come back after being with these ladies loving piecing more than ever. I am 75 and look forward to several more years to go. Have a special DIL and her friend who help me unload my car and load it up again. They take very good care of us "older" ladies. lol
Old 02-13-2017, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by sinceresissy View Post
I think I might like to go on a quilting retreat but are they for people who sew on a machine. I hand sew and think it might be fun to be around other hand sewers. Or I guess I could go to a retreat with sewing machines but then I would be the odd ball sitting around hand sewing. Just a thought.
at our guild quilt retreats, there are always several sitting and doing handwork, or just chatting with those that are doing handwork. My Mom's last one before she passed she announced that she wasn't sewing, wasn't bringing a machine and just planned to visit with people instead---and she did! Always had 4-6 sitting with her chatting and sewing.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:53 AM

I will have to find a retreat. I think I would like that a lot.