Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another copyright discussion >

Another copyright discussion

Another copyright discussion

Old 06-01-2013, 10:14 AM

Dang. I spent so much time reading all that crap that now I have no time left to purchase anything on her website.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 AM

I just looked at her pictures...she may have a problem. I have a quilt that looks just like one of her quilts...that quilt was made by my grandmother in 1923...the year my dad was born. I see not one pattern of hers that I have not seen before. Is she concerned about a technique? A color combination? What makes hers designs different? I do understand her note of not using pictures directly from her website. But stating no pictures and no selling? Going to be hard to control. Depends who has the best lawyer, and the biggest checkbook and a judge who interprets what was done. I am all for justice and respecting the work of others, but I don't think someone can control what I do with an item I purchase, especially since it is sold as an item to make.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:09 AM

Did you gals now that Diane is a member of this board?
Old 06-01-2013, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
Did you gals now that Diane is a member of this board?
Does it matter if she is a member of this board? If anything, I think she'd be grateful to get the feedback. Not only are her copyright "rules" inaccurate, but they are also turning off potential customers. I'm certainly not going to purchase anything from her. She should really talk to a copyright lawyer (and also learn the difference between a patent, a copyright, and licensed use) and pay the lawyer to write up the true copyright protection. This accurate summation of copyright laws should be published with each of her patterns in addition to being posted on her website, and she should really consult a PR rep as well.

And it is ridiculous to demand that no one gives her pattern away (by this I mean physically give your legally purchased copy) or resells it to a friend (non-commercially). If this were really the law, then no one could buy books at yard sales. Or for that matter, I couldn't buy her pattern to give as a gift.

The useful item made from a pattern is not copyrightable, regardless of what the pattern companies want to try to tell you.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm married to a lawyer. And I asked him about this because I'm looking at trying to sell my own patterns at some point. His response? Get a copyright lawyer.

Last edited by kaelynangelfoot; 06-01-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by katybob View Post
I think I'd just make a Texas star quilt from a pattern published in a bazillion books and free patterns on the web. Looks pretty much like one anyway.
That is what it looks like to me too...so how can she now claim the " design" is hers?
Old 06-01-2013, 04:28 PM

Well, well - I have read every posting - and am interested to see who and what she produces - a pity someone can get so hung up - she should take it as a complement that people want to 'copy' her quilts and gosh if I make one of her patterns and post it on my wall on f/b without mentioning her name???? All a bit ott if you ask me.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
I just looked at her pictures...she may have a problem. I have a quilt that looks just like one of her quilts...that quilt was made by my grandmother in 1923...the year my dad was born. I see not one pattern of hers that I have not seen before. Is she concerned about a technique? A color combination? What makes hers designs different? I do understand her note of not using pictures directly from her website. But stating no pictures and no selling? Going to be hard to control. Depends who has the best lawyer, and the biggest checkbook and a judge who interprets what was done. I am all for justice and respecting the work of others, but I don't think someone can control what I do with an item I purchase, especially since it is sold as an item to make.
I have just had a look at her site and agree with Bneighbor - I started an identical quilt to what Diana makes about 10 yrs ago from a magazine (just had a look at the mag and its not hers) so where does one go from here??? I sure wont be buying any of her books or patterns
Old 06-02-2013, 04:26 AM

So this person is a member of this Board? So? This is an honest discussion and one major reason why I come here every day. Hopefully, this Diane will contact a copyright lawyer and get her agenda straight. I no longer buy patterns with copyrights just because of all the confusion. Too many free patterns available. And good for Cluck Cluck Sew to encourage use of her patterns!
Old 06-02-2013, 04:39 AM

So glad I am not a fan of Diane's work!!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 04:49 AM

To me the solution is easy. I wouldn't bother buying from her. I can understand not copying her pics but to say you can't display your own pics. Why would anyone want to buy from a site that has so many restrictions? Just MHO.