Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Iron Question? >

Another Iron Question?

Another Iron Question?

Old 07-25-2018, 11:32 PM

I am long overdue for a new iron also. I was going to order one from the AQS catalog.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:08 AM

I have had way too many irons in my life-cheap ones and expensive ones. I have been disappointed in Rowentas because of the leaking. I had one that caught fire at the cord attachment to the iron. I have a Rowenta now that I got on sale at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I empty it every night if I had put water in it and I turn it off with a switch. I hope this helps. The only items that rival sich poor performance are coffee pots.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:25 AM

My current iron is a Rowenta purchased in 2014. Although it is a steam iron, I made the decision to NOT use water in it because it was like the 3rd iron in as many years. I have well water and it has minerals in it that just eat up an iron. I use a spray bottle of water for "steam". So far this Rowenta is still going strong. I did some research on irons and found that it is the water and the "residue" it leaves behind in irons that cause the leaking, spitting, general problems.
I paid about $50 dollars for this iron, so it was not the most expensive Rowenta made but after 4 years it is just like new.
Point of all this......it may be your water that is causing the problems with your iron, not the iron itself.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:09 AM

I was intrigued with Jenny Doan's Oliso pop up iron. Now I can't use anything else. Heaven help you if it breaks or leaks. Just get a new one. Once you train your brain not to set it on it's heel, you can't change back. This time I read the instructions: use a cheap bottled spring water.
Marcia
Old 07-26-2018, 03:10 AM
Power Poster

I'm starting to think that steam is what ruins irons. I got a new one a few months ago and instead of using steam I spray water on the surface instead.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:53 AM

I have a Shark now and I love it. The orange "Ultimate Professional" one is the largest and it's huge and has tons of steam. The red one is smaller but still good steam output.

These have auto-shutoff, but it's after 15 minutes, which is long enough that it works for me. It doesn't take that long to heat up even if the auto-shutoff has kicked in.

There are a LOT of topics that come up over and over again, but you never know when there will be something new on a topic. If I'm sick of a topic, I don't click on the thread (I don't have time to read them all anyway). I would still recommend searching the archives, because some threads end up being better than others.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:06 AM

I have an Oliso also. It is a heavier iron and does a great job. It is hard to go back to an iron that has to be set up after using an Oliso but I do like it a lot. Don't know how long it will last though. It's a throw away world.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:38 AM

I am on my third Rowena. Movers broke my first one, the second one leaked and the one I have now has not had water in it ever. I love it and use a spray bottle for water. If I decide to use water, I will use distilled. I like a heavy iron though I ha e friends that buy and love cheaper ones. I am so “old school” I still iron napkins, linens and clothes and I sprinkle them just like my grand mom did
Old 07-26-2018, 05:28 AM

I've had 3 Rowenta's and everyone of them leaked.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:37 AM

I have an Oliso which I absolutely loved! I was so sad when it just stopped working. I loved the lift up feature but wasn't excited about cost to replace it. I was delighted to find that Oliso will repair/replace for a flat rate...maybe $90? Packaged it up, mailed it off and POOF..a new iron appeared. It is an expensive iron but I can't imagine going back to a normal iron!